Fuel Tank

-

pa karp

Reaction score
I have pulled the fuel tank on my 'Cuda, it has set for years. What do you recommend to clean the inside?

There does not seem to be any rust, just a "varnish" smell. It might not be a problem, but don't want to take any chances.

Curt Rees

Thank you for the information! The easiest solution is probably just buy a new tank.

Before I do that, I am going to try something my local parts house suggested, using E 85 ethanol blended gas.

I put 3 gallons of E 85 in the tank. I have sloshed it around in the tank and will do that for a few days. The theory is the alcohol will help break down the "varnish" buildup. I guess I will find out!

Thanks

Curt Rees

When I cleaned mine I used some mineral spirits and some tumble stones. Placed them in the tank and shook it around, let it set for a bit and repeat. It helps if you can get an extra set of hands to shake it around.

I haven't had any issues.

Thanks, Bruce. I may try that after I drain the E 85 and see what it looks like.

I put air through the fuel line. It was clear, no junk in it at all, that is a plus.

Curt Rees

I mixed some naval jelly with acetone and like bad sport did I put some small gravel in there and shook the crap out of it. After letting it sit I pressure washed the crap out of it and dried it real good.

I've always heard to use denatured alcohol.

Only time I did it was due to someone putting a gallon of sand in my gas tank....

I mixed some naval jelly with acetone and like bad sport did I put some small gravel in there and shook the crap out of it. After letting it sit I pressure washed the crap out of it and dried it real good.

Yep, acetone or laquer thinner if you don't have rust or flakes.
It will cut that varnish right now.

I don't think the alcohol is going to do it very well.

I took the sending unit out and cleaned the tank with the E 85 plus Simple Green and soap and water. It is to far gone, so I ordered a new one.

No sense taking a chance ruinning a rebuilt #'s matching engine. One less thing to worry about.

The project continues!

Curt Rees:burnout:

When my tank shat the bed I bought my new one from hot rod city garage. It was a work of art.

Tank came in today. I have it set up and ready to install.

I read somewhere about using the old seal ring as it was probably thicker then the new rings. They were right!

I used the old seal ring, it was quite a bit tighter fit then the new one. I did not want to take and chances of a fuel leak.

It will be installed on Sat. Next week, the exhaust will be installed, and then I will fire 'er up! For the 2nd maiden test drive, 45 years later! I am pumped!

Pa karp (Curt Rees):burnout:

Tank came in today. I have it set up and ready to install.

I read somewhere about using the old seal ring as it was probably thicker then the new rings. They were right!

In most cases i think the OE ring is thicker.

It will be installed on Sat. Next week, the exhaust will be installed, and then I will fire 'er up! For the 2nd maiden test drive, 45 years later! I am pumped!Pa karp

(Curt Rees)

Pics, or it didn't happen! ^^^^ :D

Let's see if this will post. Engine bay complete.

Pa karp (Curt Rees)

Attachments

• 'Cuda Engine 31720140001.pdf
    702 KB · Views: 90
-
Back