Fully Built 225 Slant Six Pricing Question

-
Reaction score
Hello! Long time reader, first time poster. I have a 225 Slant Six in my 1963 Dodge Dart that is quite built up, and I'm looking to sell it so I can trade up to a small block V8. The problem is, I have no idea what it's worth, and I feel like I'd get more value selling it as a whole, rather than parting it out (which will also take a lot longer).

Here are the details:
- 225 Slant Six Rebuilt about 15 years ago, but only driven about 10-15k miles since. (At most.) It sits a lot, job takes too much of my time.
- Bored 0.060 out, crank ground 0.10 under, decked, ported and polished, bigger valves, Isky cam (not sure which one).
- Jacobs Ignition
- Pertronix
- NGK Plugs
- Taylor Wires
- Holley 390 CFM 4 Barrel
- Offenhauser 4 Barrel Intake Manifold
- Headers
- Mini High-Torque Starter
- Lokar Throttle Cables
- K&N Air Filter
- Slight oil leak from the valve cover.
- Had a AAA inspection about 8 years ago, came back clean except the usual little leaks and creaks.
- It runs, but the carb needs a refresh, it didn't get driven much during the pandemic, so it sat for a bit.

So, the question is, about how much should I ask for the whole package?

Also, I have the original automatic torqueflite that was rebuilt about the same time. It runs and shifts fine, but has a small leak at the pan. What's it worth separately? As part a package with the engine?

Thanks!

20240106_123859.jpg

20240106_123902.jpg

20240106_123907.jpg

20240106_123915.jpg

20240106_123918.jpg

20240106_123923.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately it’s a buyers world with a slant 6. What I mean is the value will be strictly dependent on how bad the buyer needs/wants your slant. I’ll wager a guess that you have much more in to the build than you will get back out of it. For a running driving fresh 225/904 combo I could see 400-500 if someone wanted it bad enough. I sold a 318/904 yesterday in good running condition (although not rebuilt) for $100.

How do you drive it (when you do so)
What are you gonna gain with the V8? Are you racing?
There's a lot more to converting to the V8 than many realize. If you don't have time for the car as is how are you gonna have time to pull it, get all the parts and do the swap? Exhaust, motor mounts, at a minimum, besides the engine and trans themselves. Then how "built up"of a v8? That ain't free either.
I could have V8 swapped my truck, easy enough. But I don't have the parts on hand that won't interchange between the/6 and the V8 so I built up (not as much as you have) another/6 that I had on hand. The $$ not spent on V8 parts (even just the ones needed to do the changeover) I figured would be better spent on building a better mousetrap so to speak out of the/6.... I'll know once the weather breaks whether I succeeded.

Unfortunately it’s a buyers world with a slant 6.
Very true. Even for a guy that has Slant Sixness like me.
I completely understand the whys and how come for wanting a change.For me it is a ok, did the Slants enough now it's time for V8. I will agree that you may be able to sell it off to the right guy for a $500 to maybe $800 max if someone wants it bad enough. As usual start high and come down or a make a offer deal.

Unfortunately it’s a buyers world with a slant 6. What I mean is the value will be strictly dependent on how bad the buyer needs/wants your slant. I’ll wager a guess that you have much more in to the build than you will get back out of it. For a running driving fresh 225/904 combo I could see 400-500 if someone wanted it bad enough. I sold a 318/904 yesterday in good running condition (although not rebuilt) for $100
Oh man, painful thought, thank you for the insight. For $500 I'd rather drain it, paint it, and use it as a glass top coffee table. :D

Last edited:
One other note, I don't see a Clifford four barrel intake.
With transmission and complete oil pan to carb I would say nearing $350.00 if you find someone needing what you have.
I just did this to my 66 Plymouth, what is the engine in right now, or did U miss it in the add ?
I have $600.00 in my heavy stack small block transmission, paid mor then that on my headers, I have 300 in my rearend, not to mention all the money spent on engine mounts, shifting linkage, radiator, distributor, carb, intake, kick down, drive shaft and thats just part of the list.
If you have an early A body 66 and back the tunnel will have to be worked to put a 727 auto in , if you count your labor and time with out the car on the road its a big undertaking. Good luck sir.

What kind of car ?

How do you drive it (when you do so)
What are you gonna gain with the V8? Are you racing?
There's a lot more to converting to the V8 than many realize. If you don't have time for the car as is how are you gonna have time to pull it, get all the parts and do the swap? Exhaust, motor mounts, at a minimum, besides the engine and trans themselves. Then how "built up"of a v8? That ain't free either.
I could have V8 swapped my truck, easy enough. But I don't have the parts on hand that won't interchange between the/6 and the V8 so I built up (not as much as you have) another/6 that I had on hand. The $$ not spent on V8 parts (even just the ones needed to do the changeover) I figured would be better spent on building a better mousetrap so to speak out of the/6.... I'll know once the weather breaks whether I succeeded.
All great questions. I've owned the car for 20+ years, it's the 6th or 7th Dart I've owned, and the one I've owned the longest. I'm just tired of the 6 to be honest, I'm especially tired of a built 6. I actually preferred all my bone stock Darts, far less fussy and temperamental. I've never owned a V8 Dart and I'd like a motor that I can have someone else tune/repair when I don't have the time. Most shops won't touch a built 6 around here, and if they do, they don't really know what they're doing. So, it'd be nice to have a 360 I can basically take anywhere. So, primary reason is just, looking for a change. Also, I sold my 2011 Challenger RT Classic a couple years ago and it'd be nice to have a V8 back in the stable. :thumbsup:

I too was just thinking of the cost to do the swap.
Also thinking that you stated that you really don't have time for the car because of your job.
Will that change after doing the V8 swap ?

Post #10 sums it all up for us. I mean no disrespect but the old saying is,
"It's your car,do what you want "
Just 2 more questions. What year is the block ? is it the original 63 ?

One other note, I don't see a Clifford four barrel intake.
With transmission and complete oil pan to carb I would say nearing $350.00 if you find someone needing what you have.
I just did this to my 66 Plymouth, what is the engine in right now, or did U miss it in the add ?
I have $600.00 in my heavy stack small block transmission, paid mor then that on my headers, I have 300 in my rearend, not to mention all the money spent on engine mounts, shifting linkage, radiator, distributor, carb, intake, kick down, drive shaft and thats just part of the list.
If you have an early A body 66 and back the tunnel will have to be worked to put a 727 auto in , if you count your labor and time with out the car on the road its a big undertaking. Good luck sir.

What kind of car ?
Great catch, my bad. Proof that I've got almost 30 years of sixes on the brain. :D It's an Offenhauser 4 barrel, not a Clifford, I edited the post. It's in a 1963 Dodge Dart 270 4 Door, which is worth even less than the motor. :p:D

I too was just thinking of the cost to do the swap.
Also thinking that you stated that you really don't have time for the car because of your job.
Will that change after doing the V8 swap ?
I agree 100%, the swap will cost multiples of what I could ever get from the engine, but I was hoping to recoup a bit of the swap cost at least.
Fair question. I won't have more time, but I'm hoping a fresh twist will revive my interest a bit, so I'll be more inclined to drive it some more, and spend more time on it. Also, I'm not sure if you guys can relate. But, I've spent the last 30ish years responding to the question, "Why don't you drop a V8 in there?" :D Which is hilarious because up until the pandemic, I've always had one of the cleanest engines and engine compartments you'll see on a resto-mod-survivor. But, they finally wore me down! :rofl:

All great questions. I've owned the car for 20+ years, it's the 6th or 7th Dart I've owned, and the one I've owned the longest. I'm just tired of the 6 to be honest, I'm especially tired of a built 6. I actually preferred all my bone stock Darts, far less fussy and temperamental. I've never owned a V8 Dart and I'd like a motor that I can have someone else tune/repair when I don't have the time. Most shops won't touch a built 6 around here, and if they do, they don't really know what they're doing. So, it'd be nice to have a 360 I can basically take anywhere. So, primary reason is just, looking for a change. Also, I sold my 2011 Challenger RT Classic a couple years ago and it'd be nice to have a V8 back in the stable. :thumbsup:
A stock 360 magnum with an RPM intake a 750 carb and headers sounds like a perfect engine choice. A 904 behind it would be the easiest to fit in an early a body. Would make 300hp for years and years.

My suggestion is this. Find someone in your area who loves slant sixes and sell it very reasonably. You'll never get close to your investment back out, but you can pay it forward and maybe find a new friend. Money can't buy friends, but good deeds can.

I just bought a similarly built slant for $1200 last year from a FABO member. Came with the transmission and a bunch of extra parts.

It took me 12 years to build a 65 Belvedere with a 472 Hemi.Then it took me 5 years to put 600 miles on it.
Too nice to drive too nice to let sit so sold it. Built my beater 63 Belvedere and now have 800 miles on it in 1 year.
Perfect for me now 318,A/C 2.76 gears just a cruiser. Get in and drive anywhere.
I get your point, nice small block, smooth idle,no real maintenance daily driver.

The reason I asked about the year of the block is early cars had small crank registers.Also 3 freeze plugs.
Nothing wrong with either but some guys want the 68 -up cranks for later converter use.
Some minor things, but good to know.

When I was doing my 63 I had plans for it being a Slant. Why ?. Because I had B body K frame,headers,4bbl intake
and Slant 904 with converter. Then I got a low mileage 318 with 904 headers and 4 bbl intake. The guy was installing a 440 and gave it away for free. I wasn't passing that up !

Sorry for stepping in on your post. Sometimes I get carried away talking about this stuff.
Also WELCOME to this site as I just noticed you are new here .

My suggestion is this. Find someone in your area who loves slant sixes and sell it very reasonably. You'll never get close to your investment back out, but you can pay it forward and maybe find a new friend. Money can't buy friends, but good deeds can.
Now that's a good idea. :thumbsup:

motor and trans together probably 800-ish

it's a cool piece, but there's a very narrow audience out there for it. you could likely make a little more parting it, but that's a bunch of work for not a whole bunch more dough-- and then you're left with basically a block and you gotta get rid of that.

list it up at 1K and be prepared to take anything above 500

btw, have you penciled out the $$ on the V8 swap yet? the total might leave you more inclined to keep the slant...

Buy a car with the V8 done how you want swap the /6 and resale.

-
Back