Funerals

-
Personally I like the idea of having music for a funeral service, it should be a celebration of the person's life, not a depressing festival of tears. One of my good friends from high school passed away a number of years ago, he had an undiagnosed heart ailment, died suddenly at around 52 or 53. His service was one of the best that I have ever been to. His brother had made a playlist of some favorite songs, made me realize just how much we had in common.

Last edited:
I want to be naked face down in the box covered in nuts except for my butt.
With a sign, nuts to the end, feel free to kiss my butt good bye

My wifes family puts on the best funerals (yes shes alive and kicking). But they post pics of great times in the celebrants life and its a time of fun and laughter and reminiscing about the high points. Everyone leaves with their spirit uplifted. My kind of sendoff!
That's the way I want to go. Celebrating my life with love and laughs

That's the way I want to go. Celebrating my life with love and laughs
Agree.

tombstone (1).jpg

Prepaid. I like to plan ahead.
I went out for a walk the other day and passed by a cemetery

I had some time to kill, so I walked over and read some of the headstone

Came across this one and thought it was interesting

That gentleman has walked this earth for nearly a century and been missing his wife for 30 years

20231028_163450.jpg

How about a funny story?

My oldest brother is a retired USN Master Chief. He still has close friends from his years in the Navy. They pull practical jokes on each other whenever possible.

On his 75th birthday, he got a package from “The Neptune Society.” He thought it was something nautical… WRONG!
The Neptune Society (look it up) is a cremation planning service/business.

He got lots of phone calls and birthday cards the day after his birthday, asking him if he had planned his Neptune cruise. None of his friends have admitted to signing him up.

Personally I like the idea of having music for a funeral service, it should be a celebration of the person's life, not a depressing festival of tears. One of my good friends from high school passed away a number of years ago, he had an undiagnosed heart ailment, died suddenly at around 52 or 53. His service was one of the best that I have ever been to. His brother had made a playlist of some favorite songs, made me realize just how much we had in common.
I did the same for my brother in law, died at 50 of multiple myeloma, his celebration of life ended up being on what would have been his 51st birthday. 5 years ago.
His older brother died a couple of weeks ago I suggested " turn, turn, turn" and "for what it's worth" by buffalo Springfield at that one but it didn't happen. Both would have fit him well....

I told my wife I want to have un-popped popcorn for my last meal. I also want her to stuff my pockets with the same un-popped popcorn.

I plan to be cremated!

:rofl:
:popcorn:

My dad liked CCR. I wanted to play “long as I can see the light” as we were exiting the funeral but my sisters would not have it. I probably could have snuck it in there but I refrained.
The fun part of this is that as I was heading to the funeral home to meet with my step mom and make his funeral arrangements, a Blackfoot pulled up beside me at a stop light in his Jeep with the windows rolled down and was cranking out the song.
We played the original Wabash canon ball at my dad’s funeral. It was the tune he often whistled

My wifes family puts on the best funerals (yes shes alive and kicking). But they post pics of great times in the celebrants life and its a time of fun and laughter and reminiscing about the high points. Everyone leaves with their spirit uplifted. My kind of sendoff!
Then it was off to the hall or the house for conversation and drinks a wake so to speak

True story... When my wife's step dad's mother passed, we went to the funeral in Pennsylvania. She was real close to 100 years old and still lived by herself. The church service went ok, except for the old priest losing his place a few times, but whatever...

We got to the cemetery and we gathered under a large tent. I noticed there was no open graves around and my wife said "Hmmm... I think the plot is over there" pointing at another section of the cemetery. We leave... and get a phone call about an hour later from my mother in-law. Seems they dug the grave and discovered someone else buried there.

Come to find out, there was probably some mix up years ago and the markers were placed wrong. Her step dad's father was already buried there, but not quite where the marker was. Same for the adjacent grave. Everyone was there, just off a little.

I never heard the whole story on how they fixed it. Her step dad was so upset he wouldn't talk about it, but I think they just moved the monuments around.

Fast forward a few years, and my wife's step dad died at a little over 80 years old. No real problems at the cemetery, but the procession did make some wrong turns, got lost and we all had to turn around a couple times.

True story... When my wife's step dad's mother passed, we went to the funeral in Pennsylvania. She was real close to 100 years old and still lived by herself. The church service went ok, except for the old priest losing his place a few times, but whatever...

We got to the cemetery and we gathered under a large tent. I noticed there was no open graves around and my wife said "Hmmm... I think the plot is over there" pointing at another section of the cemetery. We leave... and get a phone call about an hour later from my mother in-law. Seems they dug the grave and discovered someone else buried there.

Come to find out, there was probably some mix up years ago and the markers were placed wrong. Her step dad's father was already buried there, but not quite where the marker was. Same for the adjacent grave. Everyone was there, just off a little.

I never heard the whole story on how they fixed it. Her step dad was so upset he wouldn't talk about it, but I think they just moved the monuments around.

Fast forward a few years, and my wife's step dad died at a little over 80 years old. No real problems at the cemetery, but the procession did make some wrong turns, got lost and we all had to turn around a couple times.
We have the same problem at one of our cemeteries. The grave digger is my friend, He says it really sucks when the earth caves and well, you get the picture.

-
Back