Fusible Link Bypass Options

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
How would you guys go about getting rid of the traditional fusible link from the starter relay to the bulkhead connector? This thing ends up frying the plastic bulkhead connector and ruins it half the time. New wiring harnesses are a fortune to replace these days.

Looking for an alternate way to maintain this safety feature but bring it up to more modern standards. Thanks for any suggestions. If there are some of you that have pictures of their solutions please post

Great link.
The maxi-fuse conversion is what I'm thinking of. Just need to figure out what the amperage of my fusible link is and what Maxi-Fuse color to get. I imagine that I would mount a small fuse block under the dash somewhere.

I ran two 8awg wires through the fire wall. One feeds the full time power items and the other feeds the ignition "ON" items. Each line has a 60amp maxifuse. I know it seems like a lot, but realisticly they are for dead short protection only. ANY fuse will pop on a dead short. The fuse box will protect anything else.

I also don't run vehicle power off the starter relay. I installed a power buss that is fed from the battery (in trunk), and EVERYTHING else on the car is fed from the buss bar.

It is also where my voltage regulator sense wire is attached, which gives the VR a much better idea of what the battery voltage ACTUALLY is. My car was misfiing because the voltage on the stock circuit used for voltage measurement was 2 volts low, the VR overcompensated, and it was telling the alternator to produce 15V....which was overdriving my coil (very bad).

-
Back