Fusible link/ firing problem

-

mr.demon

Reaction score
Got my 340 running finally. It would run and idle fine warm up then die. Found the fusible link on the bulkhead had some cracking in the insulation so we replaced it with a link with the in-line 30amp glass fuse. Went to fire car up and all it will do is crank over with no spark from coil. Got voltmeter out and the coil is only putting out between 6-8 volts while turning the key over. You can see a small spark intermittently from the coil wire with a screwdriver to ground. Has anyone else ever had this problem??? If it helps the car is a 73 dart sport with electronic ignition with orange ecu.

tons of people have had this problem. make sure your ECU box is well grounded to the body. check your ballast for the proper OHMS. make sure your ballast connectors are on the ballast correctly. double check all your battery to engine to body grounds.

Attachments

• diagram2.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 138
A glass fuse is not a suitable replacement for a fusible link. Fusible links are a slow blow style of fuse and glass fuses are an instant burn out. I would reinstall the proper sized fuse link.

30A fuses are nowhere near enough for a replacement, either. The full charging/ battery current goes through that link, with the exception of the starter. If you happen to have a 60A alternator, well..................pfffdsssszzzzfpppht!!!!!

Got this mess all sorted out today finally. Put correct fusible link in no fire. Scratched paint off to ground ECU no fire. Started reading a book and rattled off what I thought was useless info to my dad and then we figured it out. The wire from nuetral safety switch that hooks to the bottom of the starter relay was only held on by maybe two strands of wire. Stripped it down and re-crimped it and car started. Im not sure how or why this worked but I'm glad. I finally got to drive my car around the block sitting on a milk crate with a sense of pride only us mopar guys have. Because I'm sure a normal person wouldn't have been driving a car with no hood,fenders,bumpers,lights,dash, or windshield with a mile wide smile like I had. Pulled car in shop and put orange box back on to test it and no fire. Needless to say I'll never run another orange ECU again. I have fried three in three different cars so far and ol blue is still my go to ECU. Anybody else fry orange boxes left and right???:wack:

-
Back