FYI on flashlight apps Warning!

-
I don't know why you guys think ANY of these apps are safe or really free. "They all want" something.

What's an app.. guess I'm safe EH. ha ha I do have a cell but I just use it as a phone and not much at that. If it rings it's usually a wrong number or some boat horn telling me I won a cruise... good post though, thanks for the heads up.

Funny thing is, their so-called "Privacy Flashlight" that the guy mentions in the interview STILL wants access to your camera/microphone! I just went into my phone and activated its built-in, from the factory flashlight. Figured it was much safer.

Many apps require access to your location, contact list, pics, etc. Even if I don't approve the updates, they seem to update themselves eventually....

I don't like it, but what do you do ?? :scratch:

Not going back to a flip phone anytime soon LOL :)

now im glad I don't have a little "smartphone" its not worth it just to keep up with latest fashion and that bologna.

You never know when you are carrying around optimus prime with you everywhere.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBttKoetqo"]paranoid black sabbath (lyrics included) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNf47Ms5tQ"]Cube changes Nokia-Transformers - YouTube[/ame]

now im glad I don't have a little "smartphone" its not worth it just to keep up with latest fashion and that bologna.

You never know when you are carrying around optimus prime with you everywhere.

Got tired of dealing with mine. Kind of firearms..... The Android cell is great for quick jobs, doesn't get the job done in the long run.
How Ironic you, post that.......

You guys are crazy. Flip phone ? really ? Your paying more for that out dated pile of crap than you would for a smart phone ...... It's not fashion it's practical .

You guys are crazy. Flip phone ? really ? Your paying more for that out dated pile of crap than you would for a smart phone ...... It's not fashion it's practical .

Really? Mine cost $5 new for the phone (and that's with some minutes, so really, less than free) and about $60 total for the entire YEAR of service (and I always have tons of minutes left over, it's the days I run out of)... how is that more than a smart phone?

I also have a 7" Android tablet that I can do everything and more that a smart phone can do, so long as I'm near wifi, which is pretty much all the time anymore... no service fees on that.

MUCH cheaper that my wife's iPhone. MUCH.

Really??? My flip phone cost $ 30.00 and I spend $ 100.00 for 1000 minutes that last me about 8 months. All I need a phone for is phone calls.

Really??? My flip phone cost $ 30.00 and I spend $ 100.00 for 1000 minutes that last me about 8 months. All I need a phone for is phone calls.

I agree, but unfortunately many people need the on line availability and convenience for their jobs, just to stay competitive.

"Smart Phone" is truly a misnomer. These are hand held computers and communications devices that also contain a phone.

I've got an iPhone. Since retirement, it's become less critical for me, but before that, I owned three companies, all with different locations, different product lines and services, and personnel.

The advent of the smart phone made my life so much easier as I could keep up with the day to day operations of all three sites and the people out in the field without having to be "on the phone" or lugging around a lap top.

I agree with you that many people who have Smart Phones don't need them, but it is an excellent business tool, and it is far more than a phone. Most times, it's all I take with me.

A while back my wife an I went to Scandinavia for a few weeks. I didn't bring a laptop, a tablet or a camera, I simply brought my iPhone, and purchased a flat rate program for talk, text, data and email. I was able to use my phone and all of it's communication features as much as I wanted, or needed for a flat rate while in Europe.

...btw, It cost me $130.00 for the month while there. Had I not purchased that plan, it would have been more than 10 times that for the first 2 weeks. All the companies offer this type of plan, too.

The flashlight apps they are speaking of are for Android phones. Since Android is open source its up to the end users to police the app market and report things to google. Android is also more hackable to customize and modify software. Such as the BootRom can be easily rooted to gain acess to all Sorts of files. On the downside of open sources is its easily hacked by hackers who mean ill harm to others. I use both Mac and PC, and Android as well as IOS on the iPad and iPhone. For those that are not technically savy its safer generally on non open source devices such as apple products. To protect yourself only download from approved sources in either the Android market or apples app store. When using Android it's a good idea to use an anti-virus such as AVG. And on any device both apple Or Android it's a good idea to use a VPN client to protect yourself over an open or public network. A VPN is a Virtual Private Network and it basically tunnels your info thru a private connection and hides your info from hackers or data theives. Microsoft is just as vulnerable as Android and it's an open source platform as well. The key thing here is to be smart, do your research before downloading things, and by all means Use protection....Lol! As in protective measures and software. If your good with code and use a terminal or terminal emulator for C++ You can search out malicious code and remove it Yourself like I do. Malicious code tends to hide in familiar extension files and try to pose as updates to your system.

Yeah, smart phones are great, I love them, I'm not at all tech averse... To the contrary, actually. But to say that everyone that does not have a smart phone is crazy... Well, that's crazy. Everyone has different needs or different ways of meeting those needs, and a smart phone is absolutely not always the most effective way.

Frankie...I agree with you that those that want or even need a smart phone it's a necessary tool.Clearly in your case and many others it works out best.I was just disputing the fact that my "piece of crap" flip phone cost more than a "smart phone". My Wife has been asking about one and will probably soon have one but for me I only need my flip phone

Right exactly, that was my original point too. Anyone who thinks a smart phone is the cheapest option is uninformed.

For many years both myself and the Ol' Lady despised the advent of the smart phone and it wasn't for the technology or cost it was for seeing the societal changes related to their usage. IE: seeing people not conversing verbally anymore so we stayed away from them and it got to the point where I had to start getting my personal favorite Razor phones out of the Ukraine under the name Vodaphone. Well when that last one died I decided to get a smart phone and bigger is better right? Got me a Samsung Note 3 and I must confess it has really simplified my life. The ability to take high resolution pictures and edit them and add comments or dimensions and then email, message or upload to a forum such as this is an incredibly useful tool that saves a tremendous amount of time. Having immediate access to information and correspondence is also very useful and yes the Ol' lady now has one too. From what I was paying for flip phone service before my bill only increased $5 a month.To each his own but I'm all about simplifying my life and there is no way in Hell I would go back to a flip phone.

It definitely makes life simpler/better. My non-subscription tablet serves the same exact purposes for me, and in my case, cheaper. Its amazing what you don't want to live without after living with mobile technology.

On the original topic, I use an android tablet and love it, but I'm smart about my usage, don't install every new fart app from unknown sources and have been a computer geek since the seventies, so I'm not that concerned about it.

Wow, did I hurt feelings? Flip phones are junk and unless you only make a call here and there they are a waste of pocket space! My dad still carries one and won't get rid of it no matter what! Sounds like some of you are on pre paid accounts, that's definitely the cheapest route. Maybe I just do too much on mine, and I still converse with people! I don't walk around with my face buried in the screen, but I haven't touched my lap top for a while. Until I need to print something!

Wow, did I hurt feelings? Flip phones are junk and unless you only make a call here and there they are a waste of pocket space! My dad still carries one and won't get rid of it no matter what! Sounds like some of you are on pre paid accounts, that's definitely the cheapest route. Maybe I just do too much on mine, and I still converse with people! I don't walk around with my face buried in the screen, but I haven't touched my lap top for a while. Until I need to print something!

The disagreement wasn't about functionality, it was only about cost. Sounds like we're on the same page now. No one here got butthurt unless yours is acheing. :eek:ops:

Nope not mine, sitting on a cushy hotel bed right now chatting on FABO with my phone!

-
Back