FYI on motors that smoke

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I see frequently someone mention that a motor smokes on startup, and everyone jumps right to bad rings or valve stem seals.
Neither may actually be the case and I will tell you why.

For one, a cylinder/s that misfire suck oil up through the rings and dump that oil right into an exhaust system that is hot from the cylinders that are running.
Sometimes smoking can be cured by making sure all cylinders are firing.

Another possibility is an intake gasket leak, that allows oil to get into the intake ports.

Also, valve cover leaks can soak between the heads and exhaust manifolds after shutdown, and burn off inside the exhaust when the engine is started again.

So let me say this one more time.
Smoking on startup is NOT always caused by rings or stem seals.

I just read three pages of “my motor smokes on startup and runs like crap”
But not one mention of the possibility that it smokes BECAUSE it runs like crap.

Ok, rant over. :D

My take on smoking engines is, if they sit for a period of time they are going to smoke upon startup. Even though the tolerances on my race motor is dead on factory specs, it smokes upon initial startup. That is the nature of internal combustion engines, especially if the specs are a bit larger than normal. It is not a bad thing unless you look like a fogging machine running down the road.

If your engine is smoking in the morning on start up its time to take it to rehab.

If its smoking oil first thing in the morning its probably addicted. Take it for help. Smoking oils should only occur after working hard and this should be in the evening after a couple beers or a meal.

I am sorry to hear your having problems with a family member. This could have been caused by abuse after it was first purchased

My uncle abused his son and his car They both started smoking at a very low mileage and young age. His son although very attractive still has smoking issues today.

images.jpg

-
Back