Gagster's '68 G Machine

-
I think you should put a 440+6 in it like I did in my 69 383-S fastback. No modifications are necessary and it runs like heck!
Rod

Rodney's 383-S.jpg

That car looks so awesome... *drooooool*

I thought long and hard about a 440. There's one near me for sale for $650 complete and probably runs. *sigh* that's a tough call right there. I can totally agree with all the arguments on both sides of the 383/440 debate.

Open to any further insights as to why one or the other would be preferable.

Also, just out of curiosity, what do y'all recon a 68 Formula S fastback 383 is worth? Finding out what the car is really changed my perception of how important it is to me, but I have no idea what its actual market value is. (Not that I'd sell it.... just because people ask and I have no idea what to tell them)

I think you're on the right track with a mostly stock appearing car. You can make a "G-machine" out of anything, but here you have a factory 383S car and that rareness and credibility would become lost in a highly restified car. Just my personal preference, but I'm not enamoured with the make it look (somewhat) like a vintage muscle car but handle like a modern car idea, least of all the craze for plonking a 3rd gen hemi into the engine bay . Put a good old 383 into it and enjoy the bone rattling, roller coaster ride!

Make no mistake... When i do my g-machine cuda some day, it'll be powered by a late model GM based on the LSx series of engines. Not only has the "modern-hemi-in-an-old-muscle-car" thing been about done to death, but I think the LS1-derived motors are way better. Asbestos undergarments firmly in place! Flame away! I don't care. I love those motors.

As far as what it is worth, how about the usual "what someone would pay for it"? Totally guessing, and to get this rolling, non-matching numbers, $12-15k maybe?
383 or 440? What ever one you can find that is the most complete and running.
Hey, those LS1 motors are good, but working on them is a pain in the a$$, and the cost of the parts is outrageous.

First of all.... Braided steel wire wheels on an angle grinder are _THE BEE'S KNEES_ for removing undercoating.

Second, is it possible to beat this deal? 1969 383 from a B-body (I know there could be mount issues) for _$250_!!! Turns over with breaker bar, needs valve covers, oil pan, intake. w00t! The old girl is really starting to come together these last couple weeks. I really owe y'all some update pics.

I use a propane torch... heat the undercoating and scrap it off. I didn't have dust flying everywhere.

I would grab the 383 just to have it regardless if I was going to use it or not. lol

www.chryslerheritage.com

Click on Heritage, then Archives.

As long as your vehicle is a 67 or earlier, you can get the build card. This was used to make the build sheet and the fender tag. They also send a letter that has additional info, where it was sold from, etc.

IBM blank 3.jpg

You may want to hold up on that motor, I have a 1967 383 with 727 still attached, complete, everything still on the front of the motor, out of a 67 Newport. I noticed your original title was dated 1967 for a 1968 car... in other words, a correct date coded 67 engine would be exactly what you need. It does have the motor mount bosses you need for an A body as well. Let me confirm the numbers on the block and I'll get back to you if you are interested.

Her are some pics of the engine and trans, I bought them about two years ago and was told it ran but had fuel delivery issues...I never confirmed. I did just now put a breaker bar on it and the engine turns over fine. I would count them both as rebuilders. The casting numbers on the block are 2468130-12 and a casting date of 2-14-67. If you are interested send me a PM with your phone number.

67engine 001.jpg

67engine 002.jpg

67engine 003.jpg

67engine 004.jpg

67engine 005.jpg

Well, it's been a LONG time since I've posted anything here. I kinda fell off the face of the earth. As it turns out, not a lot has happened, but the couple things that have happened are pretty significant. Firstly, the 'cuda is down at my friend's shop getting body work and paint. w00t! I can't wait to see her all fancied up. Second, I may have found the original #'s matching motor and trans! How cool is that?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm freaking out at the idea of having the correct drive train for my car. :D

Just thought that was worthy of an update.

Nice! But keep us posted, I wanna see more pictures.

Finding that matching drivetrain would be truly amazing. Yes, definitely keep us posted.

I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and see if he can get me pictures of the vin on the block. :)

Pictures of the shell are rare right now. It's at my buddy's place. Last time I saw it, it looked like a porcupine with studs welded along the dents to pull them out.

Maybe I can get those pix. :)

Ok. Here's the 'cuda as she looked last time I saw her:

On the trailer, just arrived in Georgia
IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

Dents and holes - This is some of the worst of the damage that needs to get fixed.
Fenderwell header holes. Ugh!
IMAG0422.jpg

Dent under the rear bumper
IMAG0418.jpg

The only rust on the whole car.
IMAG0420.jpg

Getting started on the sheet metal work
IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

She's been down there since October so I don't know how much more work has been done since these were taken. It drives me crazy not having her here, but the work really needed to get done.

-
Back