Gantry

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
I wanted a over head gantry type crane. As much as I hate to admit it I considered HF's crane
Thin wall tubing, crap welds, bolted together , and no stores in my area have it in stock
Same with Eastwood which looks like the exact same crane
I was going to put up a pavilion in the backyard and the guy doing the work and I decided on 4x4 steel tubing so I bought the tubing, cut it to size and fabbed the base plates and plates to weld on top to hold the headers
The job didnt work out and now im doing 6x6 wood
So I was stuck with this tubing.
My garage is small and my car when parked will be under this crane so I decided to use the tubing and make my own with a ten foot span. The tubing is 3/16 wall and I used 2x2 sq tubing as bracing
I drilled the holes for the casters the other day and while moving the upright legs which would be basically 10 feet, that being 7 foot and a three foot leg like a Tee of the tubing plus the 2x2 supporters it slipped out of my hands and struck my leg right above the knee
My wife insisted I go to urgent care yesterday, it hurts like hell and I can't hardly bend my knee
Of course now its your 70 and you cant do this anymore, I call BS on that.
The truth is after a lifetime of doing what I do, my hands are not as good, stuff slips out and I must be more mindful of that, I wrote in cursive growing up and can hardly do that now
Next week im going to get this younger guy I mentored to help me set this thing up and I'll weld the ten foot span on.
No mig here, all stick welded with 7018
I didnt go with a I beam or trolly. Its only ten foot and if I need to move anything heavy over I can walk it over with another chain fall
I kept it simple and will post pics when its together

I didnt go with a I beam or trolly. Its only ten foot and if I need to move anything heavy over I can walk it over with another chain fall
You're gonna wish you went with that trolley system once you start foolin' around with a couple of chain falls. Some stuff looks good on paper.:)

About 20 years ago my brother-in-law bought a heavy duty I-beam gantry crane system from a going out of business welding shop. A few years later he landed a pedestal single-arm crane that he installed to one side of his triple car garage under the gantry rig. I thought he was crazy. Now that he is 71 he can move his motors and lift the front end of his cars without hurting himself or feeling too sore afterwards.
He has bought other stuff from surplus/salvage sales from defunct businesses.

Build a trolley to ride the 4x4 tube.... You won't regret it....

Found this old gantry in the weeds while I was picking up some cars. It’s old, home built, the bolts are loose and it’s missing a wheel. But, it jacked up every car I removed from there without a problem. It’s still there in the weeds, I might go back and pick it up, but I might need it again there before I take it home. It sure did come in handy!

95A4667E-A21C-410E-80F8-F7FD091480F5.jpeg

You're gonna wish you went with that trolley system once you start foolin' around with a couple of chain falls. Some stuff looks good on paper.:)
Ive moved machinery that has weighed Tons and I mean not just a few tons by chain fall. Its just how its done. What you have to remember that the span is 10 foot which means 5 foot in either direction. Sure a trolley is nice but for less than 5 foot in either direction, I hardly need that

Ive moved machinery that has weighed Tons and I mean not just a few tons by chain fall. Its just how its done. What you have to remember that the span is 10 foot which means 5 foot in either direction. Sure a trolley is nice but for less than 5 foot in either direction, I hardly need that

my hand winch lifted up the entire car while using the gantry. I never doubt the power of the hand winch. And of course, I have an overhead crane and a chain fall in my shop.

6B0D1089-DDAF-4AC6-AF93-C3BF46985953.jpeg

-
Back