Garage across the street blew up.......

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Had an early morning departure this AM so got to bed early....and of course, couldn't fall asleep.....
Finally drifted off around midnight. Was awakened about 2 am by my wife shouting hysterically to get up......she'd been awakened by several muffled explosions and went down to look outside. The house across the street with detached 1 car garage had the entire cul-de-sac lit up like mid-day with the entire garage being a 20-foot bonfire...interspersed with continuing occasional explosions. We watched as first cops, then fire & rescue came. I *think* they got it out before it did any damage to the house, but the garage and whatever was in it is gone...leveled to the ground. It was still dark when I left for work so I couldn't see much, but man....made ME think!
More details as I find out....

Recently a garage went up somewhere in Southern Ontario - can't remember exactly where. Apparently guy had a drug lab in it.

Steve

This guy was always working on stuff. Suspect it was open gasoline or oily rags that started it.

Had a house blow up about a mile away from me last summer that had a meth lab. Cops were trying to serve a warrant - so they torched it. Fortunately no one was hurt. I didn't hear it but the shockwave was sufficient to shake my house and wake me up! Literally leveled the house!!!!!

Back last November I was awake and drinking coffee and pulling my last batch of fish I caught a couple months earlier to defrost for lunch, I seen my brother from next door pull up in my drive way and he just set out there.... ha... What is Kenny doing setting in our driveway for... walked to the door and as I opened it my niece jumped out of the car pointing here finger at there house beside us (75 yards away) crying !! I looked and there house was on fire and smoke pouring out the roof vents and up and over the roof..
Fire took everything even my friend Chelssie..... bad times #-o

I remember my 1st indoor bon-fire or maybe I can't forget, who known. My brother caught the tractor on fire while it was in the barn.

Yeah, it's a total shock to the system when you see something like that burning...nothing you can do but watch.....

Yeah, I've seen the remains of houses that blew up from gas leak. WOW! You could see insulation in trees up to 30 feet away. Not to mention not much of the house remained standing.

The wife says there is damage to the back of the house (garage side)....not surprising; but also collateral damage to the next door neighbor's house. She says there is a burned-out skeleton of a car in what used to be the garage.....

Neighbor had two of his 99% complete GTO's, one a 1 of 6 car, at a friends house. Friend had a few things to finish up before they were going to try and sell them. Neither car had any insurance on it. Mark, the friend, had been doing some grinding prior to calling it quits for the day. Apparently some of the sparks landed in a trash can that was full of oily rags and paper from a part that had just arrived. 5 hours later a neighbor was pounding on Marks door....garage was engulfed in flames. Everything a total loss. Marks home owners told them they were sol on the cars....home insurance is for non rolling structures...not cars....

Home explosions are scary! This happened in my hometown last year just a few blocks from my father-in-law's house. It was an empty house that somebody was stealing the copper out of:

View attachment decatur_house_explosion.jpg

And then this happened back in February in New Jersey. The fire department and paramedics were already on the scene for a reported gas leak, and 15 people were injured:

[ame]https://youtu.be/u7EckhaBTKA[/ame]

Yowza. Scary stuff.
Passed the house on the way home. The whole backside of the house is burned. The two neighboring houses have the siding melted off. There is indeed a burned out SUV skeleton in what used to be the garage....unreal. I will try to get some pix when I can do so without being intrusive....the family is still living there under Gennie power (must have burned the electrical connections )

There was an unincorporated part of town and they didn't have fire hydrants. If a house caught on fire there, the local fire dept would have to take a tanker truck to a fire hydrant to fill it up, then go to the fire.

One summer they had 2 fires in that neighborhood. The neighbors would pull out their lawn chairs and watch the houses burn until the tanker truck could be filled and come in 45 minutes....

Luckily, today they have fire hydrants....

Had a food truck explosion on March 7th in Lakeville, MN. Damaged 20 homes and was heard as far as the Farmington area (Mopars in the Park). Luckily it happened at about 11pm. The scene looked like a plane crash. Metal debris was imbedded into trees and homes. The home that had it parked in it's driveway was destroyed.

Had a food truck explosion on March 7th in Lakeville, MN. Damaged 20 homes and was heard as far as the Farmington area (Mopars in the Park). Luckily it happened at about 11pm. The scene looked like a plane crash. Metal debris was imbedded into trees and homes. The home that had it parked in it's driveway was destroyed.

What kind of food explodes? Broccoli?#-o

This is my worst nightmere. I always double check everything before I shut down the shop at night. If I put my car cover back on I make sure my exhaust isn't real hot still. The one thing that makes me nervous is leaving a charging battery. I do it every day at work but for some reason I think twice about doing it in my own garage.

This is my worst nightmere. I always double check everything before I shut down the shop at night. If I put my car cover back on I make sure my exhaust isn't real hot still. The one thing that makes me nervous is leaving a charging battery. I do it every day at work but for some reason I think twice about doing it in my own garage.
What's scary about this is...you can check everything THREE times but you still never know what the house next door is doing. If it burns, your house is probably going up too.

What's scary about this is...you can check everything THREE times but you still never know what the house next door is doing. If it burns, your house is probably going up too.

There is nothing around it. My parents house is about fifty yards away and the neighbors are through some woods but you can't even see them.

Lucky. I've a got two houses within 20 feet on either side.

My dad is pretty pro active about accidents with our shop. For example we had a tree fall on it a few years ago. Two weeks after that all of the big trees around it came down.

-
Back