gas and temp gage help!

-

Dusty-b

Reaction score
Hey folks. So I just bought a 70 duster. The temp and gas gage wont move. I don't even know where to start honestly. Any help is welcome.

I would check the connections to the gauges themselves first. Hard telling if they are hooked up, corroded, shorted (although this would probably cause other issues), maybe a blown fuse somewhere (not for sure on wiring). If that all looks good, you could try the other end, fuel sending unit, manifold where the temp gauge is screwed in. Could be a leak or something there. Hopefully it's not something like busted connectors.

I would grab a multimeter with everything on and see if you are getting any resistance out of the gauges. Hope that helps! I'm sure someone more versed in this will come along and provide a better answer!

Both of these are common issues with these cars.

Coolant Sensor: Remove the wire at the sensor on the intake manifold and ground it to the block. It should peg the gauge. If it does your sensor is the culprit. If it doesn't follow the wire back to the gauge looking for any damage.

Fuel Level sensor. The sensor is on the front of the gas tank at the bottom. You will be able to test your fuel gauge the same way.

I'm no expert and someone will probably come along and give you more thorough info. Search these forums as they have lots to offer.

Also check the voltage regulator on the back of the dash. The Gas and Temp Gauge are both common to this regulator. A lot of guys ( Redfish ) I think have an electronic version that works great.
Good Luck

-
Back