Gas fumes

-

Dusted1970

Reaction score
Hi. Dusted1970 here. I have been building a 1970 Duster for 10 years and as everyone knows you are never finished. My question is as follows I have a aluminum fuel cell and have braided hoses inside the trunk with super stock hose on the outside as well as another set of aluminum lines outside the trunk. The fuel cell has a vent line which I ran outside the trunk but I still get gas fumes inside the car. I have checked for leaks. None! I have check for blockage in vent line. None!. Could use some guidance to try and figure out why I get these fumes. I do admit while I drive the car the smell is less, but setting in the garage it seems to linger. Please advise Herb

Welcome aboard from marshfield home of the great white, oh wait !! It's just a sunfish!!!, how's the trunk weatherstrip ?

Welcome Herb! I suspect it's not the tank or lines, but the exhaust. Any chance of leakage anywhere from front to back? If it's really pronounced in the garage, I'd be looking at timing and/or carb tuning.....sounds a little rich to me.

Hi. Dusted1970 here. I have been building a 1970 Duster for 10 years and as everyone knows you are never finished. My question is as follows I have a aluminum fuel cell and have braided hoses inside the trunk with super stock hose on the outside as well as another set of aluminum lines outside the trunk. The fuel cell has a vent line which I ran outside the trunk but I still get gas fumes inside the car. I have checked for leaks. None! I have check for blockage in vent line. None!. Could use some guidance to try and figure out why I get these fumes. I do admit while I drive the car the smell is less, but setting in the garage it seems to linger. Please advise Herb

Thank you everyone who replied to the question. I have new trunk weather strip and I had to put a place a back firewall in to be able to race. The fumes seem to be migrating while sitting dormant in the garage. The carb I believe is tuned correctly the a/f meter says 13.7 and other than the sweet smell of 112 octane ooh yah. I think it may be as one member who replied about expanding fuel but wouldn't that go out the vent on the tank which leads to the outside? I read and sometimes reading to much can get you in trouble also, that over jetting a carb would create the same symptoms but once again my a/f meters says differently. I believe I have plugged all holes on the bottom of the car. The one place I have not checked is the seal between the inside of the passenger cab and the trunk. Again Thanks loads. Be smart be cool drag safe at a drag way.

could be normal heat expansion of the gas shoving fumes out of the tank. these old cars don`t have the recovery stuff that new ones have.

I have a vent to the outside of the car, would it still get to the passenger cab? If it is expansion how do you rectify it? Thank you

I have been doing a lot of research before setting up my fuel system (with braided lines), and i've been reading a lot of people say that the braided lines that are rubber inside "leak" fumes a lot, causing their garages to smell like gas. The recommendation is always to use PTFE-based braided lines instead, and they let out no gas fumes. Again, not something I have personal experience with, but due to the abundance of what I have read, I'm going with PTFE. Just giving you another avenue/possibility to explore. I think the other things mentioned sounds like good possibilities too, but it could also be more than one thing contributing to the smell.

-
Back