Gas prices:How have they effected you?

-
Daily driver is the 88 Reliant, 20ish MPG, I got a new job at Boeing, but they are hiring so many people i dont start till August, so I am on unemployment and giving the wife a ride to work.

The sons V6 Monte is getting a engine rebuild and he is driving the Explorer, learing how to budget his paycheck.

They arent going to stop me from driving the other cars though, i have never driven anything economical before so i am used to paying for the gas. I took both cars out for a drive this afternoon. I figure $100 for two cars that get driven once or twice a week isnt going to break me, the tanks of gas usually last 2 or 3 weeks depending on where we cruise.

I drive at least 15mph slower on the freeway now. I admidt it is tough driving the speed limit now. lol

We how drive the Calibre "EVERYWHERE"...If she's not driving, I am,(she has the longer commute),...I literally have to set a time to spend a couple of hours on routine maintanance,...spend more time makin sure tires and mechcaniccals are in good shape.also, we never go out for just 1 thing,...combine our trips to make 4 or 5 stops instead of 2 or 3.

We're fortunate that my wife and I work only a couple of miles apart so we carpool to work which also gets us in the carpool lane on the freeway and cuts down on the stop-and-go freeway traffic. We drive a '98 Olds Intrigue that can get close to 30mpg on the open road.
If our work hours don't mesh up or one of us has an appointment after work, then I'll ride my motorcycle for the day.
The V10 2500 Ram sits at home and only gets out once per week for my bowling night - 5 mile round trip.
Any grocery shopping is done on the way home from work.
Pleasure driving (Sunday ride) is a thing of the past as is getting out with our 32' 5th-wheel. Wife complains we don't use it, but I don't think I could get much for it if we sold it.
Hoping a new administration will have a positive effect on gas prices after the 2012 election.
My '69 Dart is still in 'build mode' so we don't have to deal with gas for it....yet.

Kickin me in the nuts! I own a big rig so you can image that one!!! :sad7: My wifes Neon gets horrible mpg. I want to replace it but we have no credit and very little income. It has me wondering if my automotive projects are going to be truly worth it in the long run. Between gas, insurance, reg, and maintenance who can afford it. My income is down by about 50% from 3 years ago.](*,) I try to make 1 trip to run errands/pay bills/etc. I bought a `90 toyota pu to drive back and forth to where I park my big truck, that way I can keep the mileage/wear/tear down on the cummins.

I'm really looking into riding my bicycle to the bus. Since the last time that gas prices took a spike up, I've been taking the bus where as I used to drive to work and pay for parking everyday. Maybe I'll get a motorcycle soon - I've always wanted one... Still take the Barracuda out for a spin every once in a while, but not as often as I used to. My kids really enjoy riding in it though! My five year old calls it daddy's noisy car :)

Parked the Dakota,fired up the old lebaron V6, limited trips to town. drive the duster once or twice a week. was at 3.99 until today went to 4.19 in awink of an eye.went by murry's oil today last one at 3.99 a gallon and the line was 8 deep and I suppose they were happy to pay that price. it's a shame that we are happy to pay 3.99 a gallon. just my 4.19 cents worth

I drive from Midland to Evart and back each day at 126miles round trip....I work 6 days a week so that is about $900/mth in my truck...I am searching Craigslist for something that gets 30+mpg between checks of what is going on FABO.

now that the weather has changed here in the northeast i am using my harley
for commuting, average 45+mpg if i can stay out of the throttle, decided not to play with my slant 6 this year and leave it stock, found paperwork that showed the PO getting 21-22 on the highway with it so im going to just tune it up and enjoy the fuel
mileage and i guess the major effect has been not going out for dinner.
we (family of 4) used to go out 1-2 times per month and now that extra money is going in the gas tanks of our cars like it did 3 years ago.

Kickin me in the nuts! I own a big rig so you can image that one!!! :sad7: My wifes Neon gets horrible mpg. I want to replace it but we have no credit and very little income. It has me wondering if my automotive projects are going to be truly worth it in the long run. Between gas, insurance, reg, and maintenance who can afford it. My income is down by about 50% from 3 years ago.](*,) I try to make 1 trip to run errands/pay bills/etc. I bought a `90 toyota pu to drive back and forth to where I park my big truck, that way I can keep the mileage/wear/tear down on the cummins.

Tune the neon up, I just traded my wifes for a caliber.
The neon was a 02 5-speed it would give 28 -30 every tank and she just drove it around town.
Highway was around 34+
Something is really wrong if you cant get 25+ out of an economy car.

Well my hemi quad cab loves gas, but fortunetly I only live 5 miles from work. As far as the my classic mopars go, I guess I won't be taking my superbird to as many shows this year, nor the lil red express. Probably be a summer at home working on my duster resto.

Lets see. $275 for Gas round trip to Carlisle, and $500 for gas round trip to the Nats. Plus local stuff. WTF :angryfir:

Diesel for my tool truck is costing me $50+ extra each week. I found that I get a solid 10mpg if I drive 55 on the 4 lane instead of 65. The difference between 8 and 10 mpg is 20% which is huge over a years time. For the first time in 21 years of business I raised my prices over what Mac does automatically. (just a few percent)
We have been driving the PT Cruiser in the summer instead of the van which is 25+ mpg compared to 18-20 mpg with the van. My v-6 Dakota rarely gets out of town and I've never checked the city mileage. I just fill it and get 3-4 weeks out of a tank. I don't drive it much. It will get around 20 hwy if you drive it nice. The Dart gets 20 on the highway if you drive it real nice. Checking the stoplight to stoplight mileage is not worth it. I'll bet it is 12 or so but I'll spend a little extra if I have it just to enjoy it. Local car shows and cruise in's are the way to go. Shine it up in the driveway, drive it over, and park it. Pop the hood (and may-be a beer) and enjoy my fellow motor heads. We (Mopar friends of mine) have always car pooled to the Nationals, Farmington, Mopars on the Mississippi, and to Carlisle. If you share the fuel and split the rooms it can be a pretty reasonable trip. Put $100 in the kitty between 6 of us and we have $'s left over for ice, pop and munchies. Besides it's loads of fun. toolman

Today I noticed something I have not seen in awhile being Diesel was mentioned. The gas price here was 4.15 and the diesel was also 4.15 it has been a long time since they were priced the same.

Hey Mike, Hope I get to see you again. I get around 13 MPG towing. I'm changing some things on my tow vehicle this year, should get a little better. It's getting expensive to bring a car to the national events. I dread the day we all show up in minivans and leave all the cars at home. :happy7:

Everybody should buy TDIs! The volkswagen tdi has been getting 45mpg+ for 15 years now, long before all the silly hybrids with their lame CVTs etc. I do alot of work on TDIs - they will go forever, can be modded inexpensively to be torque monsters, and are a pleasure to drive. I get close to 600 miles on my 12gl tank regularly and I can burn any silly honda or 1.8t that comes my way. Check em out!

TDI VW's, 5 cyl Mercedes, the old NA 220-240 Mercedes, the VW 6cyl Volvo, and the Cummins and older pre-powerjunk Fords also get better MPG than any of the new "efficient" vehicles......

MPG standards for new cars are a joke, considering a 472 power caddy will get 18 on the HWY......

Hey Mike, Hope I get to see you again. I get around 13 MPG towing. I'm changing some things on my tow vehicle this year, should get a little better. It's getting expensive to bring a car to the national events. I dread the day we all show up in minivans and leave all the cars at home. :happy7:

Glad I got a chance to meet you last summer. You've got a great car and I hope you can continue to attend the show. Mike

I just realized something else that has affected me with Gas prices! These damn ads on all the pics here now..... I guess the 2000 watt Honda generator under Adams trailer running the server is costing more and more to run...

:p

-
Back