Gas tank sending unit ground strap replacement

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason that the gas tank sending unit has to be grounded to the fuel line? I've made some modifications in my fuel line to add an electric booster pump and the factory ground strap doesn't reach. Can I just attach a ground wire to the sending unit outlet and ground it to the frame???

What you are proposing is a WAY better idea. There is no reasons to assume (rust, corrosion) that the fuel line was ever effectively grounded to the body.

Yes. Because it needs to be grounded to complete the circuit, for the sending unit, at the end of the assembly, to read properly.
Otherwise the unit is basically isolated from grounding due to the lack of grounding at rubber washer, on one end which seals the liquid in the tank, then the rubber hose on the other end. There is no good metal to metal contact Otherwise.

That's what I've been doing for years... nice copper stranded wire, and wormclamp going to a 5/16 here head. The factory ones, even if you clean em up, you sometimes gotta twist em around every now and then

I drilled a hole in the passenger side corner of the tank flange and ran a short ground strap to the frame rail. Due to the tank insulator between the floor and the tank , And the straps being coated the tank is not grounded. As soon as you tighten the sending unit up to the tank it is grounded to the tank by the large fastener. If you check continuity between the tank and the sending unit they are grounded together. The factory ground strap is not only grounding the sending unit but also the tank through the large fastener nut.

-
Back