Gas vs propane, stock tank vs fuel cell vs cylinder

-

BarracudaBrian

Reaction score
So I'm at that point of my project, I got just about enough of the electrical system working to get the car running and now I have to decide if I'm going to send the carb to be rebuilt or invest in getting the fuel system converted to propane.

I bought the car with no gas tank but their is currently one hidden in a local junk yard in decent shape. Down side is the sending unit maybe in less than ideal condition and the fuel filler pipe seal isn't salvageable.

I have an 8-10 Gal fuel cell that I got for a 4x4 Toyota but it really doesn't work in the trunk and I'm not sure that I'm ready to chop up such healthy sheet metal.

Then there is the propane option... And this is the option I have the least experience with and least amount of resources for. If I go propane, turbo charging will be part of the plan.

I should point out it's a 75 swinger /6.
What say you the experienced of FABO?

I've owned a couple propane converted vehicles. Propane is an interesting idea for fuel, with an effective octane rating of 110. Problem is fuel delivery. To feed a high horse engine takes quite the setup. Far beyond what a "basic" setup can do. And is rather expensive. I was looking at building a high compression N/A engine to run on propane and the intake system alone was very spendy. Basic systems can't support much beyond what a simple V8 makes. And can get pretty expensive when you start getting up there in power. Which may not be a problem with your slant six turbo.

The other consideration is the limitation of propane. No more underground car parks. Tank can't be mounted in an "enclosed" portion of the car. Might be limitations at the track for racing. Certification in your state may or may not be a problem.

Well after posting this I found a used Impco setup an hour or so down the road from me about the same cost as rebuilding my carb which is awfully tempting, I guess the next step will be heading up to my desert property and measuring the propane tank on my RV and crawling under and measuring the stock tank location. I know I have a couple smaller tanks that would fit, but those would only be appropriate for a strip only setup...

-
Back