gastank presher buildup causing problems

-

Wild Card

Reaction score
hay everyone. i need advice again. im the kid with the 1975 dart 4dr special edition with the 225. i need to know if the gascap is suposed to vent the presher out because mine isnt. it caused the diaphram in the fuel pump to blow out. i pulled my breather off yesterday to find gass all over the intake and steadly bubbling out of the carb. it filled the cylinders and now i have to do another oil change after only driving 5 miles on the last one. i need help again.

You should have your charcoal canister intact and working. That will cure your problem.

All "carbon can" cars should have what is known as a "pressure vacuum" cap. These caps allow SOME vacuum OR pressure to build SAFELY and the caps are then supposed to relieve.

IF you have the proper cap, and IF it isn't all corroded/ rusted "shut," then the pressure did not cause the fuel pump problem.

Stroke is correct, though. The CAP is NOT the primary "vent" but rather the entire properly hooked up and working system.

The problem of course, is, that these cars are so old, that "anything" could have happened, including "mis wired" (hosed?) parts missing, lines crimped/ missing/ rusted shut/ plugged.

First thing to do is get a factory service manual for your car. notice I said factory as in Chrysler. Not Haynes, not Chilton, but CHRYSLER. I prefer the printed book, but they are available on C/D as well.

i figured out what was wrong and fixed it. the needle fell inside of the carb. i got it out and now its running great. i have the car up for sale on here under 1975 dodge dart 4door special edition for $1800 obo.

-
Back