Gate Post Question..

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I'm putting in two 10' x 4" 11 ga galvanized steel gate posts to hang two cattle style gates, 8' long x 52" tall. About 52 lbs. each.

I was thinking of pouring the concrete into the 4' hole first, then dropping the post in so the concrete fills the post.... Make sense?

If you pour concrete, and insert the post while the concrete is still loose, it will fill the post to the level of the concrete around the post.

If you want to fill the post the rest of the way, simply thin the balance or the left over concrete to a slurry that you can pour into the post from a bucket.

Make sure you have the post well supported, an plumbed, and squared with the opposing post.

I recommend you use a step ladder, lol.

If you pour concrete, and insert the post while the concrete is still loose, it will fill the post to the level of the concrete around the post.

If you want to fill the post the rest of the way, simply thin the balance or the left over concrete to a slurry that you can pour into the post from a bucket.

Make sure you have the post well supported, an plumbed, and squared with the opposing post.

I recommend you use a step ladder, lol.

Thanks Frankie! :thumbrig:

I figure full to ground level should be sufficient and I have a top cap to keep the water out (not that it rains much here anyway).

Weld on a 4 or 5'' cross piece, angle, flat bar what ever scrap you got about a 16-18'' up from the bottom of the post before you put it in the hole. This will help deter the post from twisting after the fact.
JMO.
Larry

Weld on a 4 or 5'' cross piece, angle, flat bar what ever scrap you got about a 16-18'' up from the bottom of the post before you put it in the hole. This will help deter the post from twisting after the fact.
JMO.
Larry

Thanks! Makes sense.. :thumbrig:

Just got the second post set today, damn I'm in pain, lol. I ended up using 1040 lbs. of Quickcrete total. 400 on the one next to the house and 640 on the one I did today because I poured an apron to keep the poopshooters from digging under.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 53
That ought to be enough concrete to hold them up.

That ought to be enough concrete to hold them up.

Shoot, it better be. Holes are 4' deep, well below frost line and I undercut the concrete driveway too. These are big, heavy, round tube, cattle style gates with each one being 8' long.

In the future, I might install an motorized gate opener, so these posts really had to be sturdy, plumb and straight. The whole concept is to keep the dogs in and the riff-raff out. It's a decent nieghborhood but every now and again the occaisonal dirtbag will be seen walking/driving down the street scoping out access. A few no tresspassing and beware of dogs signs will go up too. A buddy mentioned welding spikes curved outward on the gates but I think that might be a little much..

-
Back