Gauge cluster restoration?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
I would like to go through my cluster. The lenses are a little scratched up and just "old" looking, anyone know a good way to clear them up. What is the best way to clean up plastic parts without damaging anything? Anyone used those white gage kits and/or a different back layout like they sell on ebay and a few different companies. Best way to paint the trim around the guages, or any other detail work on the cluster. Model paint? just need a few tips, thanks

For the clear plastic I would use the Meguiar's plastic polish.

I've seen a couple of pictures of the white gauges and they look nice.

I'm not sure of the best solution for the chrome trim around the gauges, maybe someone else will chime in.

Novus It's a three part process. Start from the rough grain and move to the soft...Worked well. Also, I used plastic epoxy. It's stronger and last longer then model glue. Can get it in different colors if need be. Plus its thicker and easier to work with.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...e=off&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&start=63&um=1

Just and FYI. The PO had the speedo lens pop out while he was cleaning my 66 barracuda. I didn't want to remove everything to put it back. So i got thick model glue, put a small dab on the areas where it had broken away from the housing. Now comes the tricky part...how do you grab a flat plastic lens that is installed?

I took three soft darts from my son's dart gun. (You know the ones that have little suction cups) placed them on the lens and pulled it in place. Held it for about two-three minutes. Let go. Left the darts in place over night. Popped right off and the lens looks like it never came apart.

Good luck! Its easier than it sounds. But do use plastic epoxy...much better then model glue. (If I had pulled the gauges on the 66, I would have used the Epoxy)

Aloha!

IMO ...don't go with the stickers...they are not good quality...and will peel. If you want the gauges restored...send it out. There are a few FABO memebers that can do it...and well too...but its best to send it to the pros...What I did is I bought a complete cluster and had it restored. Then it was a matter of a quick swap. No down time...but I live in hawaii and I don't have winter months to "work" on the cars.

Having the "pros" redo an instrument cluster is a great idea, but if you are bucks down (as are a lot of us at the moment), or prefer to do everything yourself, just on principle, there is much you can do.

Pulling the gauges apart and cleaning the lenses will go a long way toward brightening things up. The first step after getting the lenses free is to determine if just cleaning will suffice, or if they need more, like polishing out scratches, or even sanding them. When sanding the heavier scratches out is needed, wet sand them, starting with the lightest grade sandpaper that will give you a uniform dullness, working your way to the lightest grade available to you. I start with 600 grit and see if it does the job of eliminating the biggest of scratches, if it does I move progressively to the smallest size grit, skipping a couple of grit sizes each time I change sizes (600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 is my usual progression). If it doesn't, keep moving up to the next coarser grit until you find the one that works, then start down the progression. Using the lightest pressure that still cuts, and keeping lots of lubricant flowing is key (I use dish soap and water). At that point I switch to plastic polishing compounds (hardware store, auto parts store, commercial refinishing supply house, mail order speciality house, it really doesn't seem to matter).

Often times if they are still sealed to their bezels and lenses, and haven't been exposed to the elements, you'll find gauge faces in relatively good or even fine shape. Those same gauge faces can be problematical if they are heavily stained, soiled, or scratched, and may require repainting and silkscreening by a pro, depending on your skill level. With the availability of dry transfers with different sizes and fonts, computer use friendly decal paper and programs containing virtually an unlimited number and type of fonts, this is far less a problem than it use to be. It also makes substituting movements something else you can easily do yourself, the substitution of a volt meter for an amp meter a prime example. Installing a quartz clock movement for the analog one would be even easier, by virtue of not needing face modification.

Normal body working techniques and materials can be used on the bezels if needed. There are cheap plastic welders out now (on sale at Harbor Freight among others from time to time) to enable reattaching mounting tabs, welding up cracks, and other misc repairs. Don't forget the various epoxies that can be used also. Repainting bezels with the appropriate colour and gloss paint, with a detail gun or an air brush, is also within the realm of doable. Pay attention to what special techniques might needed for those parts in need of replating and figure out if you can handle it yourself, or if you need the help of a pro. If there are extensive areas on your bezels in need of replating (often times, entire plastic pieces are plated, then selectively painted by the factory), perhaps sending them out to the appropriate vender would be best. But if you are careful, good results can be obtained on small areas with metalizing paint, leafing papers, or chrome tape.

It's your money and your time. Figuring out how to spend it to get the most bang for the buck is the trick.

IMO ...don't go with the stickers...they are not good quality...and will peel. If you want the gauges restored...send it out. There are a few FABO memebers that can do it...and well too...but its best to send it to the pros...What I did is I bought a complete cluster and had it restored. Then it was a matter of a quick swap. No down time...but I live in hawaii and I don't have winter months to "work" on the cars.

good to know, I was kind of skeptical of the sticker/decals for the gauges.

Having the "pros" redo an instrument cluster is a great idea, but if you are bucks down (as are a lot of us at the moment), or prefer to do everything yourself, just on principle, there is much you can do.

Pulling the gauges apart and cleaning the lenses will go a long way toward brightening things up. The first step after getting the lenses free is to determine if just cleaning will suffice, or if they need more, like polishing out scratches, or even sanding them. When sanding the heavier scratches out is needed, wet sand them, starting with the lightest grade sandpaper that will give you a uniform dullness, working your way to the lightest grade available to you. I start with 600 grit and see if it does the job of eliminating the biggest of scratches, if it does I move progressively to the smallest size grit, skipping a couple of grit sizes each time I change sizes (600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 is my usual progression). If it doesn't, keep moving up to the next coarser grit until you find the one that works, then start down the progression. Using the lightest pressure that still cuts, and keeping lots of lubricant flowing is key (I use dish soap and water). At that point I switch to plastic polishing compounds (hardware store, auto parts store, commercial refinishing supply house, mail order speciality house, it really doesn't seem to matter).

Often times if they are still sealed to their bezels and lenses, and haven't been exposed to the elements, you'll find gauge faces in relatively good or even fine shape. Those same gauge faces can be problematical if they are heavily stained, soiled, or scratched, and may require repainting and silkscreening by a pro, depending on your skill level. With the availability of dry transfers with different sizes and fonts, computer use friendly decal paper and programs containing virtually an unlimited number and type of fonts, this is far less a problem than it use to be. It also makes substituting movements something else you can easily do yourself, the substitution of a volt meter for an amp meter a prime example. Installing a quartz clock movement for the analog one would be even easier, by virtue of not needing face modification.

Normal body working techniques and materials can be used on the bezels if needed. There are cheap plastic welders out now (on sale at Harbor Freight among others from time to time) to enable reattaching mounting tabs, welding up cracks, and other misc repairs. Don't forget the various epoxies that can be used also. Repainting bezels with the appropriate colour and gloss paint, with a detail gun or an air brush, is also within the realm of doable. Pay attention to what special techniques might needed for those parts in need of replating and figure out if you can handle it yourself, or if you need the help of a pro. If there are extensive areas on your bezels in need of replating (often times, entire plastic pieces are plated, then selectively painted by the factory), perhaps sending them out to the appropriate vender would be best. But if you are careful, good results can be obtained on small areas with metalizing paint, leafing papers, or chrome tape.

It's your money and your time. Figuring out how to spend it to get the most bang for the buck is the trick.

Thanks, alot of good info, I will definitely keep this info, cant afford to send it off to the pro's.....just got a quote for them to do my cluster alone would be 600.00+.....thats not an option right now.

I can tell you this...the 'pros' way is money well spent. and yeah that price is high... but thats what it cost to restore a cluster. Blows for sure!

If you got the time and patience..heck ya do it yourself. There's a lot that goes into the restore, from repairs to the bezel, plastic chroming, gauge calibrations, lenses repairs, circuit board repairs. The list goes on and on. That is one detail, if you don't have the time, tools and know how...send it out.

I agree about doing whatever you can on your own. But some things are better left to those that have done it and have the right resources.

I hate "down time" so much I bought two cars...just incase one is down...I have one to drive. IF both go down...my head might explode!!!!

Aloha!

I can tell you this...the 'pros' way is money well spent. and yeah that price is high... but thats what it cost to restore a cluster. Blows for sure!

If you got the time and patience..heck ya do it yourself. There's a lot that goes into the restore, from repairs to the bezel, plastic chroming, gauge calibrations, lenses repairs, circuit board repairs. The list goes on and on. That is one detail, if you don't have the time, tools and know how...send it out.

I agree about doing whatever you can on your own. But some things are better left to those that have done it and have the right resources.

I hate "down time" so much I bought two cars...just incase one is down...I have one to drive. IF both go down...my head might explode!!!!

Aloha!

Haha, yea I hear yea, but simply cannot afford to send it out at all. I am completely going through my duster, nut and bolt resto/mod. And have so many other expenses for parts that are absolutely necessary. The cluster is something I can go through myself now and maybe later have the cash to do it right. I have a year to get this car completely done. So there have been allot of money thrown at parts. Got to get the car to the Mopower tour :-D

-
Back