Gear drive

-
Is there enough oil splashed around on the gear drive?
And if not, what oil modifications are recommended?

Yes, there is enough oil. You can even make a very small hole in the backplate and in one of the lifter galley plugs to make an oil sprayer if you wanted.

But really the oil splashing up from the pan and drainback from the top of the engine is enough.

well I spent the cash after talking with my engine builder and got the Milodon unit..will let you know once she is running what I think about it....

Congrats on the milodon, I've had one in my dart for 10 years now and its been good, no problems. It was easy to set up too.

Congrats on the milodon, I've had one in my dart for 10 years now and its been good, no problems. It was easy to set up too.

How loud is she ? Been told you won't know u have a gear drive as if u had a Pete Jackson noisy

Wayne

lmao yeah some difference in price there.i was told by a oval track guy they send vibrations thru the valvetrain,not good i will stay with the roller chain

I threw that theory up a while back too......but after reading posts from people that have actually USED gear drives and MANY online articles, I have the nads to admit I was wrong. The harmonics thing is a bunch of hooha. Besides, look at the number of engines that used gear drive from the factory. There have been quite a few. Still are, in fact. I'll probably be adding it to my 354 Hemi build.......and lookin for an affordable setup for my slant.

I was talked out of a gear drive buy my engine builder. Do yo know Grumpy Jenkens used a factory nylon over aluminum top gear to reduce recipricating weight. to increase Torque. Just thought I would bring that up. I will be installing a gear drive on my motor when its out this year if I can,. Crank and cam line bore position determines if they can be used. Some chains are loose because of this and shorter custom lengths are available. Also factory chain tensioners are used for this reason. Is there a way to adjust the gear lash on these gear drives.

just started my small block engine up friday with a Milodon geardrive installed in it...and I CANT HEAR IT AT ALL...NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT....

so I guess I won't be going down the road making heads turn...lol

just started my small block engine up friday with a Milodon geardrive installed in it...and I CANT HEAR IT AT ALL...NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT....

so I guess I won't be going down the road making heads turn...lol

Noise might be proportionate to the amount of lash.

-
Back