Gearing up for my DustDevil restoration.

-

Yuri

Probably not drivable....
Reaction score
I use the term restoration very loosely, as I'm building the car as I would have ordered it had the parts been available, and had I not been -7 years old at the time my car was built.

I've been collecting parts for it, based on coolness factor as opposed to date-coded or any bs like that.

The car started life as an FE5 Rallye red over black with black stripes '74 Gold/Space Duster with a black bench interior, and 2BBL 318 with automatic,
Here are parts I've already got on/for it.

318 Police 4BBl motor, with 340 six-pack cam and connecting rods, 340 4BBL intake.
(This is only my temporary motor, I plan on building a 360 six-pack for it with a 5-speed manual.)

15x7(maybe 15x6.5, I have to check) H-code steel wheels with Plymouth division dog dish caps. (not on the car yet, I'm waiting to color match them.

late model van buckets that will be reupholstered with '74 Duster vinyl, so they'll look just like factory buckets, but with less wear and tear.

1970 Dodge Dart front clip.

Complete vinyl roof trim

Here's the car as it looks right now.
Yuri&

PICT4841.jpg

I've been inspired by the bizzarely colored stripes available on the 71 Challengers, (Chartruese, orange, magenta, etc,) so I've done some photoshops to help me decide on the final color scheme, and thought I'd share them with you guys.

The ones I'm seriously considering:
Hemi orange with vitamin C orange stripes:
DemonHemiorangeblackroof.jpg

Panther Pink with Magenta stripes:
DemonPantherPinkwithMagentastripe.jpg

Sassy Grass with Chartruese stripes:
sassygrasswcher.jpg

And here's some I did for fun:
Rallye red with orange:
DemonRallyeRedwithorange.jpg

Butterscotch with Lemon Twist:
DemonButterscotchwithYellow.jpg

No offense, but all of the side stripe color combos don't work. I think it would look better without them.

They work for me, and I have a degree in car design. :)

I don't want the stereotypical black or white stripes, I'd rather have something new and exciting.
Stuff like this just looks good to me.
Taken from PantherPink.com:
fm3006_01.jpg

If you're taking votes ..I'm stuck between the sassy grass and the butterscotch. But, If I had to make it final it's sassy grass.

I like 'em, but I like the hemi orange with Vit. C stripes best. I also like the name "DustDevil" also.
C

I kinda like 'em too, but I'd like to see you do something 'new and exciting' with the hood stripes as well. A different stripe design in the same color as the side stripes to highlight the boundary layer type scoops. Everybody does a black hood. Be daring and different and do it 'your' way.
Even though you don't see a bunch of Mopars sitting in the parking lot like you do 'bow ties' and 'ovals', you still want to be unique among the few.

now i have to think about which is more cool looking............decisions, decisions............

Found a couple Demons in the junkyard, so I've done some work on the car this weekend, mostly replacing broken or bent panels with straight ones, and replacing missing or broken lenses.
I also removed the vinyl roof, fixed the rust, and prepped the car for a new full length vinyl roof.

Heres the Demons in the yard, I got a mint condition set of buckets from the brown one, as well as a flat trunklid.
7b1add26192c.jpg

011867ce2a3a.jpg

browndemon.jpg

browndemonrear.jpg

Here's my car after a weekend of work.
Dustdevilside.jpg

Dusterrear1.jpg

Dustdevilfront3.jpg

Installed '71 Demon Buckets this weekend:
Dustersseats.jpg

I also put a lot of work into polishing and waxing the paint, and am surprised at how well it shined up.
DusterattheBeachrear34.jpg

Dustersidecloseupbeach.jpg

Dusteratthebeachfront34.jpg

Dustersunsetrear34.jpg

my vote:
Hemi orange with vitamin C orange stripes

I kind of lik eth eHemi Orange/VitaminiC combo too. Very Mopar inspired. Whenever you are ready, I can make the stripes for you in whatever color you choose. I'll just have to get you swatch samples to verify the color is exactly what you want before cutting them. Also, I kind of like the idea of Demon side stripes with the Duster tail panel stripe.

Thanks everyone!

The wheels are 70's vintage American Racing Ansen Sprints, 15x7 +0 and 15x9 +0.

I found the fronts and rears on two separate Dodge Streetvans in a junkyard, and paid $120 for the set.

Do you guys know how hard it would be to get a new windshield?
A rock hit mine on the freeway last week. :(

RE: Wheels. I have a 72 Demon on cop car wheels (15x7). Stockton Wheel advised me that the biggest thing I could get under an unmodified fenderwell was a 235/60-15. Since I had a pair of 255/60s already mounted on the rims, I tried them first. They sat less than ¼ inch off the leaf spring in the rear and wouldn't clear the top of the fender opening in front. I've had no problems with the 235s yet.

-
Back