Gears or torque convertor

-
When i made these posts yesterday i just had the feeling the op's car was close to stock. Hopefully he didn't get scared off and can offer a little more info. on his combo so we all can help him.
It is stock, previous owner installed a mild cam. My mechanic spoke with the company in Syracuse that is rebuilding it and he provide all the info setting the stall at the 2500-2700 range. Yes I do have a tranny cooler. It is not a comando it's a standard with a 4 barrel.

Comparing a 4 speed car with a change in gearing to an auto car isn't really valid. A 4 speed car has none of the fluid dynamics or torque multiplication a converter provides. It's strictly a mechanical multiplier.

Interesting can you explain, so would an automatic need more or less gear over Standard?

It is stock, previous owner installed a mild cam. My mechanic spoke with the company in Syracuse that is rebuilding it and he provide all the info setting the stall at the 2500-2700 range. Yes I do have a tranny cooler. It is not a comando it's a standard with a 4 barrel.

Sounds like a good plan for now. Once that's installed, along with some timing and carb tuning, hopefully it will have you where you want to be. Glad you overlooked the drama, but i'm sure you realize sh*t happens occasionally....lol.

Look at your friends car. Same deal with an auto and changing gears may not have had as great an effect as it had being a manual.

An auto trans car with 3.23's put more stress on the converter when accelerating than a 3.91 or higher numeric gear set. It will generally make a converter flash higher because it's harder to turn.

Everything in a manual transmission is a mechanical torque multiplier. It's a locked up unit between crankshaft and output shaft with the gears being the only thing that multiplies torque. You can lose lock with a slipper clutch, but, that's not really a street car thing.

In an auto trans it has fluid dynamics that provide some torque multiplication via converter. It will also have loss due to slip as it's not a true lock from crankshaft to trans output shaft. Toss a lockup converter in and then you have less slip at cruise speeds.

-
Back