Gen3 hemi tkx swap

-

SlantedDart

Reaction score
Hey guys. I’ll be doing a 5 speed swap with a tkx in a Dart. I just placed an order from sst for pedals and m/c kit. I’ve got the tkx and Ram power grip clutch kit coming from Liberty Gears. This is going behind a gen 3 6.4. I’ve been an auto guy my whole life and now it’s time to row some gears. Who wouldn’t want a hemi Dart? Haha! So I guess the question I have is has anybody ran into little issues with sst parts. Like pedal ratio, install issues. Just want a heads up before I dive into it. Built pics to follow when parts show up!

Best of luck! My only advice would be to make sure you get the correct bellhousing with the starter on the driver side. Easy to get one for a late model car by mistake with it on the passenger side.

Best of luck! My only advice would be to make sure you get the correct bellhousing with the starter on the driver side. Easy to get one for a late model car by mistake with it on the passenger side.
Right! I did some homework on that got a QuickTime bell for a LA driver side starter. Same bell bolt pattern

Some threads that might be worth reading:

Not certain they will answer any of your questions, but the second thread is an SST kit so maybe it will be helpful?

I've only had a couple minor hiccups with SST, but their customer service is fantastic and problems were addressed immediately. I once got a reply from Jeff, their Vice President, on a Sunday at 7:25pm. With service like that, I don't even mind small issues.

SST products and service have been good for me as well. I am far behind Arthur as for actually driving mine though.
Excited to see your progress on the 6.4. I was on the fence between b engine and 6.4. I leaned toward the b engine as I had a short block started. Otherwise I would have went 6.4 also.

Some parts came in.. along with some rims I couldn’t pass up haha.

D693F9E4-80C2-4BD5-9ED9-67FEB4458903.jpeg

6D99E9C1-DA4E-4E01-9EF0-361F91B09B10.jpeg

All the parts are in! Finishing up a 25.2 Fox body then it’s time for the Tkx swap.

BA4527BA-9B05-4701-AFA2-58F143606F21.jpeg

09E9C526-7BE9-477E-848D-640864ACB14C.jpeg

28F52784-0F64-478F-A84B-78183C6C5AB0.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Are you going 6.4 crate or used? What engine electrical?

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Are you going 6.4 crate or used? What engine electrical?
Found a locked up 6.4. Re built with Mmx pistons and rods. Four barrel style intake from prefix with Holley terminator X. Been running and driving with 904 but going to tkx

Wow. The harder part is already done (gen 3 swap). The TKX swap will be a breeze. Having the auto floor will make it easier too.

Update.. I’m debating on getting a cast bell housing.. I’m not sure if I like the idea of not having a starter snout support along with both starter bolts being almost half inch .469 for 7/16 bolts.. very expensive bell for that bs.. I really need a sfi approved one though.. The starter pocket is also moved down and out about 5/8 which is going to cause lots of header clearance issues

Okay. So I’ve decided to keep with the QuickTime bell housing.. First was the starter issue. I have a Dakota starter and it was working perfectly with the 904. I did have to grind the block which was fine. Now because of the larger diameter ring for flywheel I believe they moved the starter down and swung it out .625. So I had to grind the block more.. The starter registers on the block plate which helps to located without bell on it.
Now the block plate holes are large to the block for alignment. The only holes that are on the money are the dowel holes in the bell. So I used those to align the block plate to the bell. Then I put.125 dowels in it and welded them into the bell. So if the bell moves the block plate moves along with the starter. So in theory if quick times math is correct the starter should be where it’s supposed to not floating around between bell and block. I’m also planning on welding a snout support into the starter pocket. Kinda stupid they don’t have one.
I’m planning on getting hemi Denny torsion bar eliminator kit. One because my front suspension is blown out. Two I don’t have to screw around support the top torsion bar cross member after I have to cut it for trans clearance.

One header tube as of now will need to be redone. Not a big deal considering the conditions.

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

IMG_2784.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

IMG_2784.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

Nice progress. The only thing I would add is to get the flywheel for a reference verification before finalizing starter location. Sometimes starter depth also varies.
Elimination of the torsion bars is a nice way to not have to worry about the top part of the torsion bar cross member being eliminated. Will look cleaner.
You did a nice job on your headers and gen 3 hemi install. Bummer you have to modify the headers again.
What clutch are you going to run?
Have you checked the crank centerline to bell yet?

Nice progress. The only thing I would add is to get the flywheel for a reference verification before finalizing starter location. Sometimes starter depth also varies.
Elimination of the torsion bars is a nice way to not have to worry about the top part of the torsion bar cross member being eliminated. Will look cleaner.
You did a nice job on your headers and gen 3 hemi install. Bummer you have to modify the headers again.
What clutch are you going to run?
Have you checked the crank centerline to bell yet?
I’ll be putting fly wheel in and bumping the motor over before to verify. I have Ram clutch and pressure plate and fly wheel. Liberty gears helped me out with all of it

got everything in place. Ready to dial it in. Had to put longer dowels in. Welded in a starter snout support also. Drilled and tapped the top starter hole 1/2-20 kinda like factory. Also got a real fuel pump! Ordered up Hemi Denny torsion bar eliminator also

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

Should be smooth sailing now. Since the torsion bars are not being used. The floor mods for TKX will be easy.
I am thinking about adding the starter snout support in my bell.

I’m hoping the run out will check out I don’t want to take those damn dowels out again..
I figured the starter support won’t hurt. It looked fine spinning it with the plugs out but with almost 12:1 compression it’s a different story.

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

Got the trans up in there. I’m kinda pissed I had to cut so much but it is what it is.. Lots of test fitting and wondering haha. Have to make sure the angle of the engine stays the same with headers on it ect.. tail shaft is closer than I like to the tunnel. Have to test fit old drive shaft. I must say this isn’t an easy swap… the hemi swap was easier and less modifications. It will be worth it though. My fiancé and I made a baking sheet platform to stabilize the trans!! Worked great! Ps I need a f%^£*n hoist..

Oh wow, I did not have to cut that much for my TKX! I wonder if the hemi has any influence on where the trans sits, compared to my small block.

Found a locked up 6.4. Re built with Mmx pistons and rods. Four barrel style intake from prefix with Holley terminator X. Been running and driving with 904 but going to tkx
How did the 904 go behind the 6.4 as thats what i am going to run behind my one. You just need a different fly wheel? 904 Bolts right up no adjusting?

Oh wow, I did not have to cut that much for my TKX! I wonder if the hemi has any influence on where the trans sits, compared to my small block.
If he using the holley engine mounts they would move the engine forward an inch, if he running the tti mounts it sits factory

-
Back