Getting ready to replace valve cover gaskets on my '68 Valiant sedan (273 V8)

-

gossame1

Reaction score
Hello Gang,

I know it's been a while since I posted anything about my old "A" body. As most of you on the boards know, I have a '68 Plymouth Valiant sedan with a 273 V8 engine. (As well as a new '05 Chrysler 300) I am requesting some advice from the group here for this. I was wondering, after I get the valve covers off, and put the new gaskets on, what is the correct torque for the bolts that hold the covers to the block? I recently misplaced my '68 Plymouth shop manual, and this unexpected repair came up.. A friend of mine, who is into old cars is going to help me tackle this situation.. I purchased the Felpro rubber gaskets rather than the cork gaskets. I hope I made the right decision here.. Also, would I need to retune the car or do anything else because of putting the new gaskets in place? Any information would be greatly appreciated.. I look foreward to be hearing from the group soon. Thanks again!

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

I think 15lbs is way to much. Use a ratchet extention with a socket on it. Get it a little more than snug and then go 1/2 turn and check for leaks.

Valve covers should not be to tight. If they are they will leak.

i jsut go til shes a little over snug an all both my truck an the car,no leaks for either
MIKE

I put a sealer down on the valve cover side only. Sinch the down till there snug and go a half turn more, maybe 6-8 ft# tops.

I've never torqued the valve covers down, but the 6-8 ft lb range seem about right. I don't use any sealer and just do the "snug it down and another 1/2 turn" routine. Depending on the valve covers you use, if you make them to tight it will distort and leak.

-
Back