Getting too hot

-

TRoberts207

Reaction score
My 73 Duster, has a 44o in it, i have dual electric fans, aluminum radiator, electric water pump, when i first take the car out for a drive it heats up to around 230, then slowly settles down between 200-210, when i come to a stop it goes doen lower.. anyone have any ideas on this 1?? any help greatly appreciated..

Electric water pumps are not designed for continuous street use. The are designed for off the trailer to the staging lane and down the track. A real water pump may solve all your problems.

ill have to look into it, i have dual electric fans, hopefully wont have any fitment issues..

I'd get rid of the electric water pump, get a MP viscous fan, and get some sort of a fan shroud. Good Luck

i dont have a problem with the temp, after it hits the initial hot point.. after that it stays around 190 or so.. im gonna change the pump out, and change the thermostat out as well..

What water pump are you running?
There are a few electric pumps that do hold up and perform well on the street.
There is nothing wrong with electric fans either. Look under the hood of almost every new vehicle on the market!
A 180 thermostat will do wonders.

I'd do the cheap thing first and try a thermostat. See if maybe yours is not working right.
Electric fans will work fine if there's enough and electric pumps can move more water than the belted ones, if it's the right setup.

I honestly think its either the water pump or the thermostat.. the fans seem to be working just fine.. im gonna replace the pump and the thermostat and see where that gets me.. if it still has problems, then ill look at changing the fans.. car has an aluminum radiator, and the fans on the back are in a shroud.. looks like a nice set-up to me..

I'd go with sst's idea with the thermostat because I put one in my truck that does the same thing .Start it drive it gets up past 220+ and then drops to 190 and stays there

thats exactly what mine does.. i guess ill go grab a new thermostat first.. i still have to get my trans fixed first though..

What water pump are you running?
There are a few electric pumps that do hold up and perform well on the street.
There is nothing wrong with electric fans either. Look under the hood of almost every new vehicle on the market!
A 180 thermostat will do wonders.
Front wheel drive necessitates the electric fans. Your Dodge Rams still use the engine-driven fan setup. They are hassle-free. No electrostatic switches to go bad or fan motors. Same with the water pump. Simple is good. O:) Plus the MP viscous fan is touted to have virtually no parasitic power loss. I think it's a great idea to start cheap with the thermostat and maybe pressure check the cooling system too. Good Luck!

Front wheel drive necessitates the electric fans. Your Dodge Rams still use the engine-driven fan setup. They are hassle-free. No electrostatic switches to go bad or fan motors. Same with the water pump. Simple is good. O:) Plus the MP viscous fan is touted to have virtually no parasitic power loss. I think it's a great idea to start cheap with the thermostat and maybe pressure check the cooling system too. Good Luck!

I don't have a truck. :thebirdm:
The majority of cars on the road today have electric fans. They keep a more consistent temp regardless of engine rpm or vehicle speed. They also only work when they are needed. If you are worried about an electric fan failing then I think maybe you worry too much.:-D
Electric fans make the ac a lot colder at idle, too!

P.S. So much for keeping it simple...the Ford Sport-Trac has a belt driven fan...with a clutch that is controlled by the PCM!:read2:

No more eletric fans for me. Had one fail 2 hours from home.. Belt driven only from here on out for me.

If your dead set on an eletric fam get an oem one from a production car.

As for the original post. If it's gettin hot then settleing out I would change the thermostat first

I don't have a truck. :thebirdm:
The majority of cars on the road today have electric fans. They keep a more consistent temp regardless of engine rpm or vehicle speed. They also only work when they are needed. If you are worried about an electric fan failing then I think maybe you worry too much.:-D
Electric fans make the ac a lot colder at idle, too!

P.S. So much for keeping it simple...the Ford Sport-Trac has a belt driven fan...with a clutch that is controlled by the PCM!:read2:
I should have said " Dodge Ram Trucks, for instance" instead of how I phrased it. I've been in the car business for 28 years now and own and have owned several car dealerships. We( my team of mechanics) have reconditioned (read "fixed") plenty of vehicles ( thousands) and have seen lots of electric fans that don't work properly. Usually a switch. But we're talking about a Duster with a 440, and I don't see an a/c compressor, do you? In my time Hot Rodding I've come to appreciate simple solutions ( not simple people ) that work well and most likely won't leave me stranded somewhere. When it comes to old cars with pieced together, non-factory setups, yes, I probably do worry too much. Especially if I have alot of money and time invested. Every time I fire-up one of my cars I'm listening, looking, smelling and feeling. Just trying to help and offering ideas, like the man asked. PS you're a classy guy for a moron

I should have said " Dodge Ram Trucks, for instance" instead of how I phrased it. I've been in the car business for 28 years now and own and have owned several car dealerships. We( my team of mechanics) have reconditioned (read "fixed") plenty of vehicles ( thousands) and have seen lots of electric fans that don't work properly. Usually a switch. But we're talking about a Duster with a 440, and I don't see an a/c compressor, do you? In my time Hot Rodding I've come to appreciate simple solutions ( not simple people ) that work well and most likely won't leave me stranded somewhere. When it comes to old cars with pieced together, non-factory setups, yes, I probably do worry too much. Especially if I have alot of money and time invested. Every time I fire-up one of my cars I'm listening, looking, smelling and feeling. Just trying to help and offering ideas, like the man asked. PS you're a classy guy for a moron

Maybe you are just a little thin skinned, huh?:bootysha:

I have an aluminum radiator and a 16" elctric fan on a temp switch. If the fan ever died while I was out and about, I could still drive it home. The fan only comes on at idle....but what do I know?:toothy10:

P.S. I guess you never saw any mechanical fans that didn't work properly, huh? Yeah...right...:thebirdm:

Sorry, TRoberts, for "Getting too hot" myself.... My Buddy Mopar340Dave is right. I am a little thin skinned when someone says "FU" to me and "KMA". I'm sure I deserved it. His communication with me on this thread was perfectly in keeping with the good-natured, helpfull spirit of this site and I was out of line. At least it prompted us to ponder the merits of both methods of what should be a simple , yet critical thing, cooling the coolant. Good Luck with your Duster!

-
Back