GM Module conversion diagram

-

Calipag

Reaction score
I've done the 8 pin module conversion but want to be sure that I have it wired properly. Can someone post or PM a diagram with voltage values to each pin. @TrailBeast did give me all that info months ago but like a dummy I deleted that info. Thank you for the help. Below is a photo of my install.

ign-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I've done the 8 pin module conversion but want to be sure that I have it wired properly. Can someone post or PM a diagram with voltage values to each pin. @TrailBeast did give me all that info months ago but like a dummy I deleted that info. Thank you for the help. Below is a photo of my install.

View attachment 1715301621

I got him:D
He was asking for this diagram.
One question I do have is what is connected to this circled connector?
Normally with our HEI kits this connector was not used.
That connector is normally for the computer to control options our electrical and engine systems don't use.

The rest looks like you got it as long as you have keyed 12v to the red wire between the coil and module.
I can't really tell in your picture.

ign.jpg

HEI Wireup.jpg

While we’re on this subject, what year and GM model is a good doner?

While we’re on this subject, what year and GM model is a good doner?

For the 8 pin module the early 2000 GM or Chevy trucks and vans.
It's easy to spot these distributors because they have two electrical connectors on the side of them and the small distributor cap.
The coils are pretty specific to the 8 pin module also and look like this.

HEIkit.jpg

Last edited:
That connector is normally for the computer to control options our electrical and engine systems don't use.

The rest looks like you got it as long as you have keyed 12v to the red wire between the coil and module.

View attachment 1715301818

View attachment 1715301820

That is a plug going that goes to nothing. I didn't want to leave that port open so I put the plug on and cut the wires and heat shrunk each one individually and then put heat shrink around all of them.

Thank you for all of the help!

That is a plug going that goes to nothing. I didn't want to leave that port open so I put the plug on and cut the wires and heat shrunk each one individually and then put heat shrink around all of them.

Thank you for all of the help!

Oh ok, thats fine.
I normally just take the wires out of that connector and put it back into the module.

My 1994 chevy pickup uses this style module and an E coil as well. So did my brothers 1987 monte carlo SS.

Be aware that distributor pickup polarity MATTERS. It will change what is called "rotor phasing" in other words it moves the trigger point in relation to the rotor. "Rough running" usually results

Be aware that distributor pickup polarity MATTERS. It will change what is called "rotor phasing" in other words it moves the trigger point in relation to the rotor. "Rough running" usually results

@TrailBeast did inform me of this when we talked about the initial installation.

Thank you!

View attachment 1715301818

View attachment 1715301820
I want to bring this back to the top to ask a question. Where would I hook my tach wire? Still to the negative side of the coil? Also, how do I tell which wire is which going to the distributor? Thanks.

I want to bring this back to the top to ask a question. Where would I hook my tach wire? Still to the negative side of the coil? Also, how do I tell which wire is which going to the distributor? Thanks.

Howdy Rob.
In the picture above I would say yes to connect the tach to the coil.
The coils I used were GM coils, and had a third wire (white) that the tach connected to.
I’m assuming the coil negative is the same connection just at a different place.
Best first guess on the distributor pickup wires and it will be obvious if it’s wrong.

-
Back