Going to Vegas next week

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Just a quick trip to Las Vegas next week with wifey. Staying downtown this time at the Plaza.
Obviously we'll spend plenty of time on Fremont st.
But looking for suggestions for other things in the downtown area, things to do, best places to eat, etc. We're not big gamblers or drinkers.
Got any ideas on keeping us busy for a few days?

Wont have a car, planning on using the Deuce and SDX busses to get back and forth between downtown and the strip. Only plans so far are to see a show or two and have some good eats.

Last edited:
DO NOT do the rides on the Stratosphere!!!!!!!! I am totally afraid of heights because of it !!!!!!!!

DO NOT do the rides on the Stratosphere!!!!!!!! I am totally afraid of heights because of it !!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, wasn't planning on riding any of those. I get the heeby jeebys just watching a video of someone else doing it.

For an excellent prime rib dinner ($10.95) go to the El Cortez Hotel (down Fremont past the Heart Attack Grill) the restaurant is called Siegel's 1941. We go there all the time, the employees have been there for years and years, the service is great and the food is better and reasonable (for Vegas).

Thanks fwi, that's the kind of suggestion I'm looking for.

Also, if you are there Sun, Mon or Tue night, the best Elvis plays from 8pm to 11pm at Fremont St Experience at one of the four stages there, its 3 blocks from your Hotel. This guy absolutely has Elvis's voice (although a bit heavier, almost to the point of splitting his pantsuit), his band is topnotch as well. If you like Elvis you will not be dissapointed.
Also, a block south of the El Cortez hotel is a small "shopping mall"/ restaurants place called Container City, its all made out of shipping containers, and there is live music sometimes, the fun thing is the giant fire breathing dragon in front (on Fremont) that usually does his fire show every 20 minutes or so.

Thanks fwi, that's the kind of suggestion I'm looking for.
Well, enjoy Yourself, I've not gambled a single dime out there in 5 trips so I get it. Luckily I have a relative for a personal tour guide, :), He doesn't gamble either!

Also, if you are there Sun, Mon or Tue night, the best Elvis plays from 8pm to 11pm at Fremont St Experience at one of the four stages there, its 3 blocks from your Hotel. This guy absolutely has Elvis's voice (although a bit heavier, almost to the point of splitting his pantsuit), his band is topnotch as well. If you like Elvis you will not be dissapointed.
Also, a block south of the El Cortez hotel is a small "shopping mall"/ restaurants place called Container City, its all made out of shipping containers, and there is live music sometimes, the fun thing is the giant fire breathing dragon in front (on Fremont) that usually does his fire show every 20 minutes or so.

Cool we’ll be there Tuesday evening so we’ll definitely check out Elvis.

There is a Zip Line under the Fremont Experience....

If the Bellagio still does the National Anthem with their fountains at midnight, DO IT! :usflag:I have to admit I felt a little odd stifling the tears in the middle of the night in the middle of the frickin Nevada desert. I think I must have been a little moved by the experience.

If the Bellagio still does the National Anthem with their fountains at midnight, DO IT! :usflag:

The Bellagio fountains are always a favorite. I've seen them many times and always enjoyed them, but was completely unaware of the midnight National Anthem presentation.
I just watched a recording of it on YouTube.com and it gave me the chills.

Whitney Houston's rendition of the National Anthem from the 2002 Super Bowl is my favorite.
That will be a priority to check on when we're up there for MATS next April. I guess I'm going to have to be up late one night!
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
-
Back