Good news and Bad news

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Well if you have been following my thread on the cam, timing chain, heads, lifters, distributor replacement you should be familiar with what I have been doing lately. Today was a rare day off from work so I decided to wrap up this job. After spending the entire day out in the almost 100 degree heat I got the engine back together and got in the car and turned the key. She fired right up!!! That's the good news..... The bad news is that I have a oil leak at the bottom of the timing cover. I used new Felpro gaskets and decided not to use the cork end gaskets and used Black Permatex instead. And it leaks. I just ordered a new timing cover gasket from a guy on E Bay. He has a set of Mc Cord gaskets. Do I need to use the end seals, or is there any other way to seal up the oil pan to timing cover? The cork Fel Pro gaskets would have worked but I was too lazy to drop the oil pan. I'm not even sure if I would be able to drop the oil pan to get the new end seal gaskets in between the pan and block without removing the engine. Motor ran really strong at start up but I shut it right down when I saw the oil leak. This is really frustrating but I'll have another go at it in a few days. It's too damn hot to work outside under the hood right now.

When I did mine in the car I trimmed the ends of the cork where they sandwich in between the block and pan, and put a healthy bead of sealant in the corners, under and on top of the cork. I have had no issues.

I really did not want to try to loosen up the oil pan due to the fact I may damage the oil pan gasket in doing so, That's why I did not remove the pan bolts. As I stated it is really frustrating but at least I know the engine will run strong. It sounded really good when I started it up, thought all was good after the initial smoke burned off and then I saw the oil leaking behind the harmonic balancer and shut it right down.

Yeah, I didn't want to loosen the pan either. That's why I trimmed the cork to fit. I just flushed it up to the block and used a liberal amount of the black permatex in the corner where the pan meets the block under and on top of the cork and let it sit overnight. I put the rest of it together the next day and so far, knock on wood, no leaks.

Before you tear it down, I'd try cleaning it good with a good dry solvent, and apply a bead of RTV on the outside, spread it in with your finger, and let it set up.

I've had VERY good luck using silcone/ RTV on the ends of the pan and intake.

-
Back