Good price on a 6.1 Hemi!!!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, why would they take a 6.1 shortblock and put 5.7 heads on it? I honestly wonder, is it something I am missing? I am interested, but not sure if it is worth it.

Does not sound like a bad deal at all. 5.7 heads are way less expensive than 6.1's and easier to obtain. Sounds like they just swapped in a 6.1 short block to me though.

Either way 2000 is not a bad deal assuming it is ready to drop in.

I wish I could go get it.
I was told why the 5.7 heads are better, but I can't remember why. Seems like it was said they fllow better. One thing I do remember is they can be had, brand new, as cheap as $600 for the pair.

This might be an Indy Cylinder Head motor. They take a lot of short block 6.1L Hemis and bolt on a set of 5.7 Heads. Why? Beats the snot out of me, but it probably saves them a butt load of money which they pass SOME of on to their customers.

In the final analysis the deal is maybe an OK not great, not even good. I don't like the fact that it hydro locked. I don't care who checked the motor out, until you check the motor out buyer beware.

Consider this, here in southern California 5.7 truck motor with moderate mileage go for $1500.00 for a full pull out including wiring harness, while 6.1 Hemis go for about $4000.00. Since you are not gaining the 6.1 heads and intake, you're really losing a lot.

In my view the only real advantage of this motor is a forged crank. If you plan on stroking the motor and install a forged stroker crank, you've not gained anything.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Gremlin,

The 5.7L Heads are not "better", out of the box the 5.7 heads flow around 270 CFM on the intake side vs. 300 CFM on the 6.1L Heads.

Some feel that for motors under 400 cubic inches the flow numbers of the 5.7 head are more than adequate and the smaller port volume is beneficial for low end torque. Ported 5.7 flow between 300-325 CFM while ported 6.1L Heads will flow between 330-375 CFM. One of the smarter things I've heard about choosing cylinder heads is that one should choose the SMALLEST port volume that will provide adequate flow for the horse power desired. Under this criteria, the 5.7 head may be the best choice.

The reality is that a stock unmodified 5.7L Head will flow as well as an un-ported W-5 Race head, and is capable of supporting close to 600 HP.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back