good read on the 340 production numbers through the years

-
This is great info. It really goes to show how much Chrysler would mix match parts to get what ever someone wanted back then. Don't ever say never. There is always that weird one that no one has seen before.

That really isn't that many engines and most got trashed street racing them. Plus they weren't worth much back in the day so they just got pitched into the bone yard.

Still a lot of engines. I think because it says 340 on the block no big deal.

I wasted one in 1972, got a warranty-replacement total ..2
Bought a junkyard core in 73,still got it ............................1
bought another 340 car in 78 still got the engine...............1
bought another 340 car in 83, still got the engine..............1
Picked up another along the way somewhere................... 1
I did my part ............................... grand total................. 6,
and still got 4, all std bore, could be for sale.

I have always claimed that Ma screwed up big by not putting the 340 into RR and other B bodies earlier. In the midst of the 70's gas crunch about 73?? I put a junkyard low miles 340 into my 70 6bbl car. Still had the 18 spline 4 speed and Dana. That thing would get better than 17--17.5 mpg and would "stay with" a 383 RR. This was a '71 high compression engine. I still have the heads and intake, but the intake has been modified. Brazed a fitting in for temp years ago

One of the few "smart" moves I did

_mg_6206cs-jpg.jpg

This was very soon after the swap I WAS BROKE!!! Cost me about 400?--450 for a 20K engine from a junkyard. I was so broke for awhile I had talked the junkie into throwing in a set of 318 B body manifolds and Y pipe, and ran it with that until a couple months later put some headers and duals under. Later, got the aluminum valve covers

_mg_6209cs-jpg.jpg

-
Back