Good spray paint.

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
I just painted the hood of my car with flat black spray paint and it turned out great.
Now after I finished I got really antsy and decided I'll do the whole car.

But before I do All the prep work of re doing the primer on it and sanding etc.

I want to find a correct mopar Orange spray paint I can use to get the results I'm after.

I have found a lot of engine paints on eBay and Amazon. But I was hoping to find some regular paint with the correct shade of orange.

I don't feel like using $20 cans of spray paint. But you gotta do what needs to be done.

Any suggestions??

i say wait it out save up and get your self a paint gun over at harbor freight (25$) you have a compressor?
then get your self some paint over at this website i just ordered mine ill let you know how it goes/turns out...you can search for your paint pretty easy. (carpaintonline.com) (40$) trying a quart on my engine bay i will let you know how it turns out. (uu1 13445 blue poly)

beats a spray paint quickie.

x2 Gotta say it, your gonna get more play for pay with a compressor and an hvlp gun, go to harbor freight get a compressor, and a purple gun and go at it.

I painted a whole car with spray bombs many years ago. It was OK for the driver it was, but hardly a high quality job. Getting an even gloss over a large area is a whole different animal than a flat. I suppose if you do enough coats of solid color, you could buff it to a decent finish. If you do go through with it, be sure all cans are bought together and youll have a better chance they are the same batch. I plan to spray mine with my HF gun. Already did the engine bay, under hood etc. my compressor is a bit small for the full car, not sure about that yet...

Get a good mask and cover everything. HF $9.99 gun, U-tech single stage, 3 coats, sanded flat and buffed.

Oh and get a good quality, well fitting mask and coveralls. Paint is bad stuff in/on the body!!!

Attachments

• Sony Camera Dump 092.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 206
sounds good. I've looked it before. I am looking for a garage space to rent currently so I guess that'll give me enough time.

I've seen some decent ones before but I should just do it right the first time.

all above good advice. if you get a garage to use, great! as the filler tends to absorb moisture and should be kept dry. if spraying in the garage, remember to set up fan system to get rid of fumes, and yes that auto paint is Bad on you! also you need good light to see what you are doing!
no doubt, if you do all the work of getting the car down to bare metal, or at least a good base,,,, you're far ahead to use epoxy primer, a high build primer, a sealer, and nothing wrong with a single stage urethane finsh, if you don't want the bc/cc. IMO
but realize it will take a good compressor to get it down to bare metal.
and like the other guy said, its a lot different spray canning flat vs a gloss. I vote don't use the spray cans!!!!!!

I've done bumpers, saddle bags, tanks, fenders with spray bombs, but to do a whole car? Yikes. The higher quality cans make a HUGE difference, and would probably turn out decent, but the cost at that point is probably going to run into the ability to pick up a compressor and do it 'right' for less total effort.

I just did an el cheapo motorcycle saddlebag job with dupli-color cans. NEVER. AGAIN. As others noted: getting an even finish is nearly impossible on large sections which leaves you at the mercy of your sanding and polishing skills. Pony up for better bombs or get a compressor/gun. For a car-sized job, I'd expect to not spend much more all-in for a cheapish compressor and gun and supplies than for several cases of cans. For reference, the two saddle bags I just did took a dozen cans and total surface area (per bag) is probably close to an A body fender. So a dozen cans to do two fenders; extrapolate that at $4 per can for doors, quarters, deck, hood, roof, etc... and not only will the EPA probably get a notice about your purchase, but your index finger will probably be forever crooked.

The higher quality cans I've used were far better. The metallic silver I used covered an entire front fascia for a late model saturn with only 2 cans, and I only used the 2nd can because I had nothing else to use it on later... one can of clear to finish it (max 2k), and I had left overs. I should have done the same with my bike project, as it would have probably only needed 2-3 cans total. I did clear the bags with the same 2k stuff (it's awesome) and it only took 2 cans of it. But the clear runs $25 a can, and color will run $10-15 a can for the 'better' stuff, so once again your total outlay comes close to doing it 'right'.

Using a gun/compressor will leave you with more time to sand/buff and less time trying to actually get the paint ONTO the car and your index finger will thank you. You'll also have fewer 'streaks' caused by the narrow span of the cans vs a gun, and will likely have an easier time avoiding sags and runs, since the gun will lay a more even coat. You'll also be able to pre-mix far better for a more consistent color throughout.

-
Back