Got bored over the weekend.

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Yep, Got really bored and wanted something to do, So what did I do?

Pulled my truck (1984 Dodge D50) in the garage, yanked out the 2.6L 4 cylinder & 5-Speed.

SANY0212.jpg

Originally a Mitsubishi 2.6L Gas engine, that had been swapped to a 2.5L Intercooled Turbo Diesel, and then another 2.6L took it's place for a while. This truck has played "Musical Engines" for a long time.

Going in it's place is a '69 273 with 587 heads & a 340 Intake, with a 904 Torqueflite (4 Pinion Planetaries and internals from a MA904, and a Semi-Auto Shift Kit) with a KM100/NP203 Doubler Transfer Case setup. The 273 ain't pretty, but it runs

SANY0215.jpg

It's a tight fit at the Hydroboost (I'll actually have to unbolt the booster/master cylinder to change 3 of the plugs on the driver's side) and requires a 1964-66 A-Body Manifold on that side to clear the steering column. The Passenger side can run a regular Truck Manifold, but requires a 90* Oil Filter Adapter to clear the frame & fenderwell

The core support requires modifications too, because the engine/transmission were moved 2" forward when it was a Turbo Diesel truck. It's easier to relocate the radiator/condensor/cooler than it is to make 2 new driveshafts :mrgreen:

And for good measure, what it looked like before i started ripping it apart

SANY0144.jpg

It was fun before I started, but it's really going to be fun now. If the little 4-Banger could move it along with those tires, the 273 should supply tons of power.

Makes a great truck to go fishin' with the buddies, or just to scare people in smaller cars :D

Once I get all the assorted crap done, I'll probably do the "Faux" In-Truck Rebuild... You know, where you scrape the grease off the engine and slap it with paint (Instant "rebuilt" engine, or at least that's what some people call it) Since there was nothing wrong with the engine, it was just filthy and the valve covers were rusty.

At the moment I've got a set of 1/4" Plate "Solid" Motor Mounts fabricated, still have to make a new Transmission Crossmember (different for the 5-Speed), fabricate the shifter linkage & kickdown linkage, and make a new dual exhaust system. I figured 2-1/4" Duals, with Shorty Glasspacks and Resonators should give it that "340 Rumble"

Cool! I almost bought a D50 4x4 a while back for $50 but someone else snatched it up first. Would have been fun to thrash in the woods.

I had a 4x4 Ranger that I put a 302/c4 in it. Thing was a blast, only had 31" tires in it but was damn near unstoppable off road.....

Cool! I almost bought a D50 4x4 a while back for $50 but someone else snatched it up first. Would have been fun to thrash in the woods.
Let me guess, tranny was out, almost bought a d50 4x4 in the early 90's for a couple hundred dollars, good shape but tranny was out and a new tranny was more than the pickup and good used ones are hard to find.

Let me guess, tranny was out, almost bought a d50 4x4 in the early 90's for a couple hundred dollars, good shape but tranny was out and a new tranny was more than the pickup and good used ones are hard to find.

5-Speed? The 5-Speeds were so weak that you could blow apart the gears with a completely stock engine.

The Automatics on the other hand were none other than the Torqueflite 904 (3-Speed models) and A500 (Overdrive models) and never gave a problem.

I changed/replaced 5-speeds in my '84 more often than i tuned it up, which was sad. The last transmission was a diesel rated 5-speed, with heavier internals and lower ratios, it actually held together.

-
Back