Got Boredom? I sure did

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
I was bored last night, so I decided to convert the front end of my '74 over to a '71 :cheers:

unfortunately, the Hood & Passenger Fender were in less than spectacular condition. Both had 10 different layers of paint on them :wack: Yeaaah, even a 40 Grit Disc fought hard to remove it. And somebody used a Torch to cut a hole for a Scoop and really boogered up the holes in a few spots.

Not really a big deal, weld in some metal on the bolt holes and clean up the boogered scoop opening (make it longer too....hmmm what's gonna stick up through that? gee I dunno :D )

SANY0249.jpg

The Fender had been smacked in the front at one time and they used a thread in dent puller to straighten it out, but it still had half a million pounds of bondo in it. I spent some quality time with some hammers and chisels removing the dents, now I just have to weld up the holes and weld in some metal at the bottom corner

SANY0250.jpg

The driver's side fender came from a Valiant, fortunately it only has 1 coat of paint on it, and just needs some metal welded in at the bottom corner :glasses7:

SANY0251.jpg

Then I've just gotta dig out the rest of the front end parts to have everything ready for the car.

ive been tossing around the idea myself. i have a 73 and that front end just doesnt do it for me. hopefully i will have less than 10 layers to take off lol.

ive been tossing around the idea myself. i have a 73 and that front end just doesnt do it for me. hopefully i will have less than 10 layers to take off lol.

I had to take the hard approach, because I couldn't find my container of Aircraft Stripper/Remover.

Oh and I've been trying to negotiate with my Grandfather, He has a spare NOS Sharktooth Grille (complete) hanging on the wall in his garage. He bought it in the 80's as a spare for his '71...for $50 :prayer: I'd like to put that on the front of my '74. So I've been trying to see what he'd want in trade for it... I'm painting his AWD Caravan in trade for another Nitrous setup and an MSD Ignition, so I'm gonna see what else he needs painted...for a grille :D

If not, I guess I'll just have to make due with my mint '71 plain jane grille :D

NOS ???? wow , do not let that one get away. somebody else here is using a 69 valiant grill, those are sweet too. if i can find a 70 dart front clip i would go that route. as soon i dig me up some parts, i will be changing it out thats for sure. i bought a really nice 73 grill, and i thought that would help in the appeal department, but it just didnt. i cant figure out why it just doesnt appeal to me. maybe its because the really nice styling was on the 71 and 72s. i think of all the A bodies in the day, the 73-76 were the least attractive in the grill design.

What I miss about storing the car 45 mins away, no working on it.

Yeah I'm freaken bored, stinks 6 months from now the day will still be going strong, right now its dark and light snow--guess I could shovel it, lol

........I changed mine 74 over to 71 in 1999, no regrets.........looks so much better.......its panther pink...........kim...........

Well, I spent some quality time with hand tools and a welder.

SANY0252.jpg

SANY0254.jpg

It had been patched some time during its life and the inner support had been butchered for some reason?

SANY0255.jpg

Still have some more work to do to it, but it's a huge improvement over what I cut out.

-
Back