Got my Magnepans back

-
I'll never forget going into the Aafes during a port visit to Naples Italy around 1985. They had some large, loud, great sounding speakers. One particularly obnoxious pair were JBL's but I haven't been able to verify, might have been called "Suns" or something.

Finally finished painting the bases, got these playing yesterday. They sound great, found out my Pioneer doesn't like how power hungry they are tho! Sometime down the line I'll find some tube amps for them.
IMG_3111.jpg

Nice Maggie’s! I have a set of 1979 JBL 220 Oracles, nothin says the 70’s like a big pair of speakers!

JBL's wail! I had a pair of L7's with the side firing woofer, loved those speakers. I want to look up the Oracles, curious what those look like.

L220's

I checked out those Oracles, found this article, interesting read imo. I like hearing restoration stories like this.

JBL's wail! I had a pair of L7's with the side firing woofer, loved those speakers. I want to look up the Oracles, curious what those look like.
Here is a copy of the brochure for them.

1979 L220 ORACLE

They get rolling pretty good with my Acurus DIA 100, but sound a lot warmer with the tube amp Jolida 302a.

Thanks for the link, cool story!

Last edited:
I wanted a set of Electrostats back in the day, but couldn't afford them. Ended up with these DCM Timeframes.

DCM Timeframe.gif

I have heard these speakers, I like their sound. Nice warm sounding speaker with very good imaging.

Attached to a huge amplifier and a pair of Klipsch Cornwall speakers. My garage rocks pretty hard......It's one of the few places that I still listen to music for fun these days. I'm in the hi-fi business, so I have an over-abundance of big, awesome speakers and electronics hanging around my shop. BTW, I sold the DCM Time Windows and Time Frames back in the day...they were great speakers then and still are today. Much love for big, old loudspeakers!

Attached to a huge amplifier and a pair of Klipsch Cornwall speakers. My garage rocks pretty hard......It's one of the few places that I still listen to music for fun these days. I'm in the hi-fi business, so I have an over-abundance of big, awesome speakers and electronics hanging around my shop. BTW, I sold the DCM Time Windows and Time Frames back in the day...they were great speakers then and still are today. Much love for big, old loudspeakers!

Cornwalls??? Yeah, you'll hear those over the compressor, Nice!

-
Back