GPS Speedo

-

Pound

Reaction score
Anyone out there put a gps speedo in their car? I'm considering this as an option since ALL FOUR of my original speedometers I saved up have issues. The car in question is a '74 Swinger. I was thinking of putting an aftermarket tach & speedo in place of the original speedo, so why not gps? Also would like to know if there is a fee or subscription to use these.

Anyone out there put a gps speedo in their car? I'm considering this as an option since ALL FOUR of my original speedometers I saved up have issues. The car in question is a '74 Swinger. I was thinking of putting an aftermarket tach & speedo in place of the original speedo, so why not gps? Also would like to know if there is a fee or subscription to use these.
I have one in my Barracuda. Seems to work pretty good and there is no subscription or anything like that. Uses the same signal your Garmin or TomTom use. In fact, if you have a dash mounted GPS, you'll notice that they display your current speed as well. I don't know how effective they'll be in areas with poor satellite coverage though.

I use my iphone, myhud is the app. Can reverse image, place phone on dash and it displays speed on windshield at night.uses cel tower triangulation for calculating speed. I think.

what happens in a tunnel, or when travelling under a stacked roadway?

GPS signals are pretty weak and can't penetrate buildings or the ground. It needs a view of the sky to function, so they won't work in a tunnel or inside a parking garage. Just keep up with the other traffic and there shouldn't be any trouble.

It also needs line-of-sight to at least 3 satellites. So when the sky is partially obscured, like going under a bridge or driving downtown in a big city, it would depend on how many satellites the receiver can "see" at any moment.

GPS signals are pretty weak and can't penetrate buildings or the ground. It needs a view of the sky to function, so they won't work in a tunnel or inside a parking garage. Just keep up with the other traffic and there shouldn't be any trouble.

It also needs line-of-sight to at least 3 satellites. So when the sky is partially obscured, like going under a bridge or driving downtown in a big city, it would depend on how many satellites the receiver can "see" at any moment.
Thanks for the input! Where I live there's pretty much nuttin' to obscure the sky! I'm still checking my options, but this looks promising.

I used the one from Classic Instruments in my steel 37 coupe. It worked excellent as long as it could see sky.

I'm using Speedhuts. No issues at all and the incremental time functions and sea level(elevation) functions are dead on.

-
Back