Grill repair help

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I looked for a tech page or something on this I didnt find one so ill ask. The grill I have is in very good shape. However it does have a few cracks in it. There straight and not chunked out so Im sure there repaireable. Whats a good adhesive to use here. I plan to sand after for repair and paint. But wanna fix the cracks.

super glue. I like the gel type . It take longer to cure but not as messy. Hobby shops have a 2 part super glue that is very strong. Its used on rc car bodies and the like.

Read the links. I just bought all the crap to do this with my shark tooth grille. The epoxy shown in the article is not available, I guess. I researched the stuff available and bought SEM 39767 from an online store. It turns out my local Bumper To Bumper had it on the shelf, although at a higher price. The stuff is not cheap, but it's not hardware store epoxy, either.

You're supposed to use a SEM leather/plastic prep, then sand the area to rough it up, then apply. I haven't done this yet, but plan to this weekend or next. Tried the super glue/baking soda fix, and it was alright, but not as strong as I need for actual structural repair.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...11_plymouth_barracuda_grill_repair/index.html

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sem-problem-plastic-repair-material-39767-pm-15348-195.aspx

Try and find a product made by Devcon called plastic welder,it's in a plastic syringe(two part).I have repaired many grilles and this stuff is the best stuff going.

I am not familiar with your grille but if it's plastic both Fusor and 3m make all types of plastic repair kits. Consult your local body shop supply house for identification of the type of material it's made of (lots of different plastics) and get there suggestion on what to use.

I use a dull silver (not the spray chrome) and a semi gloss black. SEM makes the correct colors. Check with an auto body supplier. Be sure to prime the repaired area and finish sand with 600 or finer as this will fill the sand scratches and remove them from the final result.

-
Back