Grill resto

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Just finished repainting my grill on my Demon. I used Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum and Satin Black.

It came out so nice I'm wondering if I should shoot the whole thing with a couple coats of Satin Clear, to help protect it.

Sure as hell am no body man so I thought I'd ask here. It just looks so nice I'm afraid I'll f#%@ it up with clearcoat.

Edit: Title should say grill RESTO. I hate this damn tablet. It always thinks I spell rongg.

Just finished repainting my grill on my Demon. I used Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum and Satin Black.

It came out so nice I'm wondering if I should shoot the whole thing with a couple coats of Satin Clear, to help protect it.

Sure as hell am no body man so I thought I'd ask here. It just looks so nice I'm afraid I'll f#%@ it up with clearcoat.

Edit: Title should say grill RESTO. I hate this damn tablet. It always thinks I spell rongg.
You know Ironmike, I'm not a body man ether but I'd make sure the paint had time to cure and not get in too much of a hurry. Test on another sample to make sure it sticks and doesn't run. Good luck on your "Resto"

Oh hell, I already un-taped it and marveled at it's beauty. Think I put the last coat of black on at around 3 o'clock this afternoon. Its nice to finally finish a project that went extremely well. Nice crisp tape lines and all.
I'd never believe I did it, it looks so nice. I will do a test with the clear I bought. Just wasn't sure if necessary.

Oh I'm gonna let it cure a couple days before I re-install. It is still a little "soft".

Oh hell, I already un-taped it and marveled at it's beauty. Think I put the last coat of black on at around 3 o'clock this afternoon. Its nice to finally finish a project that went extremely well. Nice crisp tape lines and all.
I'd never believe I did it, it looks so nice. I will do a test with the clear I bought. Just wasn't sure if necessary.

Oh I'm gonna let it cure a couple days before I re-install. It is still a little "soft".
I alwa

It's all about your effort to get it right. Good for you. Now we need pictures :) Congrats

Be very careful top coating modern aerosol paints after the first hour. Once you've passed that initial top coating time limit, many paints can not be top coated again until they are fully cured, at least 7 days later. That is with the paint curing in a warm environment.

Aerosols dry but they don't ever cure. There is no catalyst or activator in them for that to happen unless you're talking about a 2k packed spray bomb. With any regular spray bomb paint when putting something over it the solvents can bite back into the previous paint and turn it into wrinkle finish even if you do it a year later. With the colors dry and no scuffing there's no way to tell if the adhesion is going to be good or not. Shoot a test panel and make sure it works. You never can tell with spray bombs. A couple easy coats with lots of flash time before trying a wet coat on it. If it looks good and you're happy I be tempted to leave it as is.

Last edited:
Demon grille's are usually molded in black and only need the silver painted. You must have a 70 dart grille. All 71 grilles were molded in black. You will have a problem down the road with it chipping and pealing between the grill bars. Don't clear it so a quick touch up on the grille bars won't be evident.

Aerosols dry but they don't ever cure. There is no catalyst or activator in them for that to happen unless you're talking about a 2k packed spray bomb. With any regular spray bomb paint when putting something over it the solvents can bite back into the previous paint and turn it into wrinkle finish even if you do it a year later. With the colors dry and no scuffing there's no way to tell if the adhesion is going to be good or not. Shoot a test panel and make sure it works. You never can tell with spray bombs. A couple easy coats with lots of flash time before trying a wet coat on it. If it looks good and you're happy I be tempted to leave it as is.

This is correct and good advice, although the statement that aerosol paints or any paint for that matter doesn't cure over time is incorrect. Aerosol paints do cure, or reach maximum hardness over time.

I understand what you are referring to, but paint curing is not exclusively defined by paints that undergo a chemical reaction, such as what happens when using a catalyst to alter the molecular structure of the paint. Drying over an extended period of time is a time tested way of curing paint and many other things.

Semantics aside, the term "cure", as used in my post, is an accurate use of the word and process.

Paint “DRY” happens when the solvents evaporate from your paint coating leaving the paint feeling dry to the touch even though it is not 100% dry.

Paint “CURE” happens when your paint coating has reached it’s maximum hardness and is completely 100% dry.

Demon grille's are usually molded in black and only need the silver painted. You must have a 70 dart grille. All 71 grilles were molded in black. You will have a problem down the road with it chipping and pealing between the grill bars. Don't clear it so a quick touch up on the grille bars won't be evident.
No. Its a Demon. All original body panels. And trim. The black was just showing it's age and nicked up in a few spots.

Just re installed it today and looks great! Took a few pics yesterday. They don't do it justice.
20180324_150629.jpg
20180324_150440.jpg
20180324_150423.jpg

Thanks guys! It was easy, really. I just like a good prep before spray bombing anything. :thankyou:

Looks nice. I did my bezels last year. Driver quality broken ones. It's a labor of love but they came out nice. Before during & after.

20160810_213137.jpg

20160817_203536.jpg

20160917_200900.jpg

Thanks. I must have 10 hrs labor per bezel. I did my black with a paint brush & a very steady hand.

Testors model car paint from the hobby store. Gloss black. Because when you paint over the silver the paint looks flat to semi gloss which is the shade you probably want.

-
Back