Grinding sound when starting, only once

-

k3522

Reaction score
Had the Dart out yesterday. 3rd outing this year. Drove about 15 miles total and 2nd stop was to eat. Got back in the car after Arby's sub (mmmm) and hit the key and heard a sound like chunks of metal the grinding of body parts and release the key as fast as I could. Figured I would try it again being as I was stranded anyway and it started just fine. Went straight home and it has started three more times just fine after taking a external look. I have the small starter motor with the long rods and they are tight. Nothing looks out of place. the tranny was rebuilt by the prior owner a couple thousand miles ago. Do I have anything to worry about?

Sounds like you starter is not fully engaging the flywheel.

Hopefully it's not teeth missing on the flywheel and you can fix it by just getting a new starter. My Duster does it 1 in 30 or so starts so I am counting on it being the starter. (fingers crossed)

The gear reduction gears in the starter, you can not see! and would not show that the starter was loos. so maybe it was just the starter and it did not hurt your flywheel.

yup, i would go straight for the starter, doesnt sound like its engaging like it should. my old one made the same noises and i pulled the starter to find a tooth missing in the flywheel. put a new starter in and it hasnt missed a beat since.

Thanks guys. If it does it again I will be changing starters. Hope I don't have to remove the TTI header.

-
Back