ground cable question

-

340wedge1971

Reaction score
is there a ground cable that goes to the body as well to the engine?I have a cable from the battery to the cylinder head,do I need to run one to the body?

Somewhere around 1973 a ground wire was added from the negative battery cable to the radiator support. A recent thread contained argument over the ground path. Spot welded sheet metal, nuts and bolts, cast iron, etc., are not the same grade of conductor as a copper wire.

You absolutely need a ground from the block to the body. Engines really are not grounded very well, being on rubber mounts. Original Torqueflites have all-metal cooling tubes from the transmission, to the radiator, to the body--a circuitous path for sure.

Especially older vehicles had a very poor setup. GM for years and years used a fairly small pigtail from the battery neg. to a nearby body bolt. Since they are not unibody, they were even worse for continuity.

I'm rewiring my Dart and doing the amp by pass as described in the link below and I am going to run a ground from the battery to the base of the ecu and voltage regulator, any recommmendations on where to run a couple more grounds??? I'm running stainless braided for the tranny cooler lines so I don't have that electrical path available.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

There usually is a braided strap from the rear of the head to one of the heater motor mounting studs. At least there was on most of them I've torn down.

Thanks guys,I guess i need to add another ground besides the engine,i hope that solves some of my issues and I can get this thing started!

Attachments

• 1125102320a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 153
running stainless braided for the tranny cooler lines so I don't have that electrical path available.

I guess I should not have mentioned that. I didn't mean a person should DEPEND on that path, only that it was "one poor path" that exists. Just trying to point out how poorly the engine is (not) grounded otherwise

I replaced the sideways V6 engine on my old Toyota Camry (a chore all in itself) and was surprised at the number of ground wires attached from the engine to the body. I think there were at least 4 separate ones. Having just one will work but redundant grounds cannot hurt either.

is there a ground cable that goes to the body as well to the engine?I have a cable from the battery to the cylinder head,do I need to run one to the body?

Ideally one ground from negative post to rad support, one from negative post to drivers side front head and one from passenger head to body.

-
Back