GSA 67 383 Barracuda

-

64lusso

Reaction score
Stopped by the magazine rack while shopping for lunch food today and picked up a retro drag racing issue called Elapsed Times which I have never seen before, says it's from the Car Craft archives, some neat stuff in it.
One article is on longtime Mopar racer Jim Hale and there is a picture and a very brief mention of a 67 fastback Barracuda that he ran in GSA with a 383. Looks like it was a very successful car and I would think, well known in NHRA class racer circles.
I Googled it saw that it was in an auction in Dallas in 2011 but looks like it didn't sell.
Is anyone here familiar with that car? Is it still being raced by Hale or someone else these days?
Thanks, Jay

Jim Hale has been around drag racing since I was in my teens ( I'm in my 60's now). I bought a 64 stock eliminator car from him 40 years ago, ran it for a few years & traded it back to him for a super stocker. I still see him at the races here in Texas and we have a good time bench racing and swapping lies. You will never meet a more down to earth, grass roots racer than Jim.

That magazine has been coming out every 4-6 months for 3-4 years now, it's usually pretty good. I really like it because reminds me of stuff I saw back when I started going to the drags in the late 60s.

Thanks for mentioning that there's a new one out, I'll have to go pick it up.

That magazine has been coming out every 4-6 months for 3-4 years now, it's usually pretty good. I really like it because reminds me of stuff I saw back when I started going to the drags in the late 60s.

Thanks for mentioning that there's a new one out, I'll have to go pick it up.

jim told me that he sold that car to someone back east if I remember right. told me how much also. ( which I won`t tell). I have the 002-003 superstock springs off of that car on my 68 fastback right now. I`ll be pulling them off for a caltrac set up, if anybody is interested. he did sell the west virginia hemi, "that he refurbished", in texas, a couple of yrs. back. it was an original factory hemi-car, I think he told me it was the last one off the line back then.-----------bob

Yes that BO29 Hemi car was listed as sold for $155,000.00 at the same 2011 Dallas auction where I found the 67 383 listed. It appeared the 67 was only bid to $21,000.00 (no sale) which I guess I understand if the auction was full of 'collector car' guys but you certainly couldn't put together a NHRA legal class car capable of running 1+ seconds under the index for anything close to that--or at least I couldn't!
I had a 69 Cuda 340 fastback back in the day and have always been very partial to that body style because of it. I have been thinking about getting back into drag racing on a small scale and if I could land a well developed car, ready to run in my favorite body style that would be worth it to me.
Jay

Here's a pic of Jims Cuda back when S.E. Buchanan was driving it.

Attachments

• RCA_0002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 308
Here's a pic of Jims Cuda back when S.E. Buchanan was driving it.

yea that's it. he ask me $35,000 for it. too rich for me lol. known jim for 40 plus yrs. he`s built more race cars than most of us put together.

By the way, Mitch Knight is racing that car this weekend at the Div 3 race at Indy.

By the way, Mitch Knight is racing that car this weekend at the Div 3 race at Indy.

interesting; jim got rid of it because a local guy had about .12-.13 hundrets on him and there was nothing he could do about it. the local guy was ed wright, does that ring any bells for any of you? :)

Thanks for the pic Mark, I assume that is your car right next to it? 69 Cuda 340 I assume?

jim told me that he sold that car to someone back east if I remember right. told me how much also. ( which I won`t tell). I have the 002-003 superstock springs off of that car on my 68 fastback right now. I`ll be pulling them off for a caltrac set up, if anybody is interested. he did sell the west virginia hemi, "that he refurbished", in texas, a couple of yrs. back. it was an original factory hemi-car, I think he told me it was the last one off the line back then.-----------bob
do you have a pic of the car when it had theses springs on it? to see how it sat

-
Back