Guess this Lift and Duration n this mystery Camshaft!!!

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Bought this 340 used years ago no idea what camshaft is in it!

That’s the most the motor will take and like I got the mechanical at set at 10 degrees inside the distributor and initial at 18 degrees.
Small blocks usually end up with around 34-36 degrees total. You're still low. UNLESS you're speaking in distributor degrees. I never do that. I always talk crank degrees. What's the total at the CRANK?

Idles too smooth.
I know it is a Mopar purple camshaft that’s all the info I have, I had a picture of the part number when I pulled the motor apart to put a new timing chain on it, let me see if I can find it. The engine came out of a challenger, date code is 68 so probably was swapped in some time ago.

I know it is a Mopar purple camshaft that’s all the info I have, I had a picture of the part number when I pulled the motor apart to put a new timing chain on it, let me see if I can find it. The engine came out of a challenger, date code is 68 so probably was swapped in some time ago.
I would guess it's either the 474 or the 484. The 508 idles ROUGH.

Small blocks usually end up with around 34-36 degrees total. You're still low. UNLESS you're speaking in distributor degrees. I never do that. I always talk crank degrees. What's the total at the CRANK?
That’s the best I could get it with out pinging, running on 91 octane.

Pics

53BBD55B-78D4-4202-9E34-4372880CFC4E.jpeg

B68C989A-C169-43D3-9C8C-5D810ABDC777.jpeg

Oh ahahah my bad I got too excited, 18 initial checked at the balancer, and 10 locked in the distributor with the limiter plate, 28 total no Vacuum advance.
Ok, and this is measured at the CRANK with the timing light, correct? So it's 28 total at what RPM?

Ok, and this is measured at the CRANK with the timing light, correct? So it's 28 total at what RPM?
Yeah with a timing light, the total I believe was set at 2600-2800 Rpms I have to find the curve specs, had it on a paper they gave me when I got the distributor recurved. I know it has a stock medium spring and a super light mr. Gasket spring. Some combo like this

Yeah with a timing light, the total I believe was set at 2600-2800 Rpms I have to find the curve specs, had it on a paper they gave me when I got the distributor recurved. I know it has a stock medium spring and a super light mr. Gasket spring. Some combo like this
Evidently you have a lot of compression?

That sounds about like my go to curve. A light and medium spring is what I normally start with and most times end up with.

Planning on putting some tube headers on it and a double pumper on it, currently has a 73 340 driver side manifold, and dakota passenger

And a 1405 600cfm edelbrock, the damn thing runs pretty good under carbed but I know I’m missing some top end though....

Planning on putting some tube headers on it and a double pumper on it, currently has a 73 340 driver side manifold, and dakota passenger

And a 1405 600cfm edelbrock, the damn thing runs pretty good under carbed but I know I’m missing some top end though....
That could be some of it, if it's too lean. 185 is a good bit for sure.

-
Back