Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
New platform for our Ar 15s, looks fast and flat

The 2 small rifle calibers I do eventually plan on owning are .17 HMR and .224 Valkyrie. But this looks interesting!

This is the article I read last week. Coyotes will hate it!

[/URL]
Supposedly this round rivals the .224. A buddy of mine( who has the money to build tools for coyote hunting like high end AR platform rifles has been into 6mm ARC and that round will reach out there. He has taken coyotes up to 600 yards in the dead of night.

Supposedly this round rivals the .224. A buddy of mine( who has the money to build tools for coyote hunting like high end AR platform rifles has been into 6mm ARC and that round will reach out there. He has taken coyotes up to 600 yards in the dead of night.
I believe it.

Oh, and taking concealed carry with my wife this weekend! We've owned the pistol a few years, took a class, couldn't find a convenient range to keep up practice. Found one a couple weeks back, super-stoked!
That is super cool, it is a lot of fun when we have husband wife teams. They generally have a blast. Sometimes the husband postures for the wife early on but that wears off pretty quickly. He ends up worrying about his own mess and does not have time to mess with hers! When I get one of those guys. What I usually do is work with wife closely as they listen and apply what they hear. The husband in a vain attempt makes sure his wife knows he does not need any coaching or direction. Then at end of day I do a challenge target and encourage them to make a wager between themselves. I specifically ask not to be told what wager is but I throw out suggestions, night on town, dinner at fancy restaurant, new shoes, clean cat litter box etc. I have yet for the husband to win! Hah! Shooting is just a great sport for couples. When all you need is a 4-6 pound trigger as the physical requirement it sure evens things up. Good on ya for doing it!

That is super cool, it is a lot of fun when we have husband wife teams. They generally have a blast. Sometimes the husband postures for the wife early on but that wears off pretty quickly. He ends up worrying about his own mess and does not have time to mess with hers! When I get one of those guys. What I usually do is work with wife closely as they listen and apply what they hear. The husband in a vain attempt makes sure his wife knows he does not need any coaching or direction. Then at end of day I do a challenge target and encourage them to make a wager between themselves. I specifically ask not to be told what wager is but I throw out suggestions, night on town, dinner at fancy restaurant, new shoes, clean cat litter box etc. I have yet for the husband to win! Hah! Shooting is just a great sport for couples. When all you need is a 4-6 pound trigger as the physical requirement it sure evens things up. Good on ya for doing it!
Oh, yeah, we had a blast last week, and looking forward to getting into a habit on it! Like I said, first shooting in a few years last week. I know better than trying to be all he-man about it or a bet, though, she's a better shot than me! I showed her loading the clip (and generally put in last 4-5), refreshed her on ejecting and putting in a new one, and instructor takes care of both of us on aim, stance, technique. Clear, chilly fall here...can't wait till tomorrow!

And the age old argument open or closed emitter rages on.

And yes there is considerable dirt mud and debris on my EDC SIG firearm. But inside it is clean! Hah! Yes it is merely a tool to me so I treat it a bit rough. Would I bet my life on whether or not it will run? You bet!
Looks ain’t everything!

IMG_0709.jpeg

Has anyone in this thread had any experience with the .22 ARC?
I'm sure it's good. Like all boutique rounds, too pricy for my tastes and abilities. I stick to NATO rounds for rifles, and the common rounds for handguns. And of course, I have a shotgun.

And the age old argument open or closed emitter rages on.

And yes there is considerable dirt mud and debris on my EDC SIG firearm. But inside it is clean! Hah! Yes it is merely a tool to me so I treat it a bit rough. Would I bet my life on whether or not it will run? You bet!
Looks ain’t everything!

View attachment 1716162149
I've been carrying the same pistol for about 15 years. I added a Match HK trigger and hammer, Magna-porting, and big-dot sights. I have to admit the HE coatings on the pistol have held up very well. Some high-edge and scuffs...but no complaints. I wipe it down with my shirt at the end of each day...

USP EDC.jpg

I've been carrying the same pistol for about 15 years. I added a Match HK trigger and hammer, Magna-porting, and big-dot sights. I have to admit the HE coatings on the pistol have held up very well. Some high-edge and scuffs...but no complaints. I wipe it down with my shirt at the end of each day...

View attachment 1716162186
I ran HK for years then took the plunge and switched to the SIG platform. I recently picked up a spectre in a trade but have not shot it yet. I am waiting on red dot to get here for it. I have heard rumblings they do not like 115s but run like a raped ape with 124s? We will see. I think your HK looks pretty darn good for all the use it has seen. My carry rigs get some heavy use as well. The coatings technology has really advanced these last few years. Arguably not as pretty as a deep blued traditional SnW that has that purple sheen but man they are durable now.I honestly think the modern material on holsters helps as well. Lord knows how many SnWs slid around under truck seats back in the day.

Whoo-hoo! Both of us 30 of 30 on target for concealed carry, and had fun shooting on a pleasant fall day. And, yeah, HK's what we have...just feels right in both our hands!

I ran HK for years then took the plunge and switched to the SIG platform. I recently picked up a spectre in a trade but have not shot it yet. I am waiting on red dot to get here for it. I have heard rumblings they do not like 115s but run like a raped ape with 124s? We will see. I think your HK looks pretty darn good for all the use it has seen. My carry rigs get some heavy use as well. The coatings technology has really advanced these last few years. Arguably not as pretty as a deep blued traditional SnW that has that purple sheen but man they are durable now.I honestly think the modern material on holsters helps as well. Lord knows how many SnWs slid around under truck seats back in the day.
I had lots of SIG stuff when it was made in Switzerland and Germany. Since 93, I retained the HK stuff, and a few other Euro pistols I like. I laughed when the USA bean-counters started selling rainbow and diamond-plate Sig stuff. I do have some old Colt stuff, as well...but don't shoot them. These are really nice pistols....Phoenix Fusions. I've never owned a striker pistol that I cared for. I tried a bunch.

Phoenix Fusion close.jpg

Phoenix Fusion above.jpg

Phoenix Fusion TA Shield.jpg

View attachment 1716162186
Excellent choice in my humble opinon!

20231104_171503.jpg

I had lots of SIG stuff when it was made in Switzerland and Germany. Since 93, I retained the HK stuff, and a few other Euro pistols I like. I laughed when the USA bean-counters started selling rainbow and diamond-plate Sig stuff. I do have some old Colt stuff, as well...but don't shoot them. These are really nice pistols....Phoenix Fusions. I've never owned a striker pistol that I cared for. I tried a bunch.

View attachment 1716162231

View attachment 1716162232

View attachment 1716162233
Ok that is nice but the picture is a bit blurry? O wait that is drool on my IPad!

Well i figured since I have got everybody and their dogs rifle sighted in for deer season, and modern gun opens in less than a week I should probably verify mine is ok as well. Much like @MMissile for my personal stuff I stay pretty much all NATO type calibers. Not to say I don’t have a hodgepodge but the ones I rely on are pretty vanilla. For our small deer here I shoot a FN bolt, patrol rifle in 308. I can see Col. Cooper smiling down upon me. The CBS (cold bore shot) is the bane of my existence it is the flyer top right, arghh! The other four are all touching, 100yds, 168 BTS, over 41.5 grains of propellant. Off sandbag on bench. And yes I used a USMC challenge coin for size reference. Our Birthday is on the horizon so I have been carrying one everyday!
If you have to ask why?
Well cause.

IMG_0733.jpeg

Well i figured since I have got everybody and their dogs rifle sighted in for deer season, and modern gun opens in less than a week I should probably verify mine is ok as well. Much like @MMissile for my personal stuff I stay pretty much all NATO type calibers. Not to say I don’t have a hodgepodge but the ones I rely on are pretty vanilla. For our small deer here I shoot a FN bolt, patrol rifle in 308. I can see Col. Cooper smiling down upon me. The CBS (cold bore shot) is the bane of my existence it is the flyer top right, arghh! The other four are all touching, 100yds, 168 BTS, over 41.5 grains of propellant. Off sandbag on bench. And yes I used a USMC challenge coin for size reference. Our Birthday is on the horizon so I have been carrying one everyday!
If you have to ask why?
Well cause.

View attachment 1716162689
Very nice! Intended target won't the difference in any of them.

Last edited:
If you have to ask why?
Well cause.

View attachment 1716162689
I'd hardly call that a "flyer" Nice shooting.

It is a CZ bolt 22 topped with a vortex strike eagle. Really just focused on having fun, not a lot of technical guidance, mostly just safety.
I see a lot of you in your son. They are lucky to learn fire arm safety from you. I wasn't so fortunate. Learned how NOT to do it. LOL. My last hunting trip got me sweeped by a 12 year old with a shotgun. I have distanced myself from that group.

-
Back