had a bit of a scare today

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
well i have been trying to tune my car but the neutral safety switch isnt working so i was using a remote starter switch. because it kept dying. i hooked up the leads to each post on the starter. then i put my key in the on position. when i pushed the button to start the motor it cranked over, then then stoped and i noticed electrical smoke from under my battery tray. the only thing under there is my voltage regulator. so i quickly turn off the key and pull the cables off the battery. i feel around down there but dont feel any hot wires. i could still smell that something burnt for a second. i inspected the plug on the regulator and everything looked fine. the only thing i can think of is the back of the regulator may have melted from a surge or something. but i dont understand what caused it. so after inspecting everything closely i hook the battery back up. i go in the car and turn the key to the on position. i get nothing. no voltage on the gauge and no dome light in the car. so i figured maybe i burned up the fuseable link. so i cut it out of the circuit and check it with an ohm meter to see if its still good, and it is. so i spliced it back in and hooked it back up. i turn the key again and everything is fine. the car fired right up and ran fine, no smoke from under the battery or anything. i like to think i have a pretty good grasp of how electrical systems work. especially dc. its all pretty basic and this is a new wiring harness that i installed. i even soldered the connections so i wouldnt have any problems. the only thing i can think is that i caused a problem by hooking up the remote switch on the starter. i am running a powermaster alternator that puts out alot of amperage. maybe that has something to do with it too. anyone have an idea? i would hate to melt something on this new harness.

Sounds like you grounded out the positve side of your remote starter switch
but that wouldn't explain the no ignition or dome etc unless the new harness has a timed out relay switch. My motorhome had several of those..

hmmm maybe. i could look at the fues panel and relays closer. i may have shorted it to the header or something. at least everything is working again. thanks for the reply.

Easier way....next time use the pos. post at the battery and the yellow wire spade at the relay.

true. that sounds like a better idea. what a horrible feeling seeing smoke come out from under the hood of your finished project. my girl came out right after(not knowing what just happened) she told me dinner was ready. but i felt sick to my stomach and didnt want to do anything but figure out what happened.

Fresh paint under there?Could have been the groung?(painted,bad connection?heavy draw cranking?)Smoke?

could be. i have a ground wire coming off the regulator to a terminal strip and then directly to the battery from there. but maybe the paint on the regulator itself is the problem.

-
Back