Elvis'dart

Reaction score
74 Dart -225 - single barrel 1945 Holley - fresh rebuild - electric choke kit

Cold start - great

When it's hot - turn it off - starts when you bump the key

Leave it for 5 minutes - have to crank forever with the pedal on the floor

Choke not engaged when it does this

Thoughts? Where to start checking?

Yes, I have a spacer under the carb. Could it boil dry that quickly?

Make sure the fuel isn't boiling out of the carburetor and flooding the motor after you shut it off. My 340 was doing that so I swapped intakes to keep the carb cooler and now it starts great when it's hot. My slant six had the same problem. Gas washing down your cylinder walls is not good for engine longevity.

Thank you for the replies

Will do fuel line mod first.

I did not rebuild carb - someone did it for me. Float replaced. Level - will deal with if fuel line does not fix it.

"Good hot spark" -- good point. The first few years of Mopar electronic ignition weren't as well-behaved as later revisions; there were a few TSBs for hard starting, but if you're going to improve it, might as well really improve it and do the HEI upgrade .

Thought I would post an update

Had to take care of a few other issues - new radiator to cure highway over heating and a few other details.

I did the fuel line mod. It helped a bit. A new coil helped even more. I thing the HEI mod is in my future. It is running much better. Daily driving had been good for it. Sitting is so hard on any vehicle.

Thanks to all for the help. I have a few more vacuum line and emissions questions, but will start another thread for that

-
Back