Hardwood Floor Install Help

-

bkbond12

Old ones need lovin too..
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I need some help/suggestions.

I'm installing a 2.25"x.75" oak, hardwood floor and I screwed up. The install is through three rooms, lengthwise. When I transitioned into the first room, I didn't want to use the wall as a reference, as I wasn't sure it was perfectly square. So, I ran a chalk line from the board that was entering the room, measured back, and screwed a 1x4" down to start my rows.

When I got back to the board that was running into the room, I had developed a 3/16" gap. Now I'm thinking, "****" what do I do now. I don't want to pull up 30 sq ft of flooring to realign and remove the gap, because I'm pretty sure I'll damage it. I also don't want to fill the gap with putty/rope because it will be noticeable, as it runs through the three rooms.

Are there any tricks to "shift" the 14 rows, or trim one row without messing up future row alignment? Or do I need to bite the bullet and pull up the boards and start over?

Thanks,
-Travis-

Did you pull the baseboards from the wall s before you started to put the floor down ?

Most times you want about a 3/16" to 5/16" gap between the flooring and the walls For expansion.

When the baseboards are put back on the walls they will cover the gap.

If you did not remove the baseboards. Then use 1/2" or 3/4" quarter round moulding finish nailed to the bottom of baseboards to cover the gaps.

Herb

[quote="Dart67";1970585852]Did you pull the baseboards from the wall s before you started to put the floor down ? Most times you want about a 3/16" to 5/16" gap between the flooring and the walls For expansion. When the baseboards are put back on the walls they will cover the gap. If you did not remove the baseboards. Then use 1/2" or 3/4" quarter round moulding finish nailed to the bottom of baseboards to cover the gaps. Herb[/quote]

This ^^^^^^^^

...be sure NOT to nail the quarter round to the floor.

I had a.transition as well. Down my hallway the floor joists ran side to side. Then after hallway opened up to living room the joists 90* opposite to the ones in the hallway.
I removed my base board and used baseboard and quarter round. 30 feet isn't much to pull up and u could probably salvage some of the damaged pieces for end pieces?

Another thing watch the entrance.ways they can be tricky as well. I left mine till the end. Dunno if that is the.correct way or not.

Dart 67 pretty much "nailed" it! Lol

I did pull the baseboard. The problem is that I have a gap in the center because during installation of the rows, I somehow got the rows tighter and now where I transition into the room there is a gap. I just sketched a quick diagram in paint to illustrate what I did.

The room on the left is where I started. I couldn't verify the squareness of the middle room, so I measured from the first board that transitioned into the middle room, laid a 1x4" as a starter to position the row far enough from the wall so my floor nailer had room and laid the floor. I need to remove the gap (red line in photo), but would rather not rip up the wood I have laid. I was just hoping that there was a way to shift the wood up 3/16" of an inch. Otherwise, I'm going to be ripping up about 15 rows that are laid with 2" L-cleats.

Attachments

• floor diagram.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 204
I should've bought a slip tongue or spline and just reversed the direction as I transitioned into the new room, but I figured I could make it work and just float the rows closest to the wall. I tried to cheat it a bit and now I'm scratching my head trying not to destroy the wood I have laid. That's what I get for half-assing something I knew better than to do. DAMN!

If this is a dumb idea, then say so, but what about laying it all out first without nailing it? Would that give you an idea of any surprises and what to expect?

If this is a dumb idea, then say so, but what about laying it all out first without nailing it? Would that give you an idea of any surprises and what to expect?

I did for the middle room, but when I nailed it, the rows either pushed my starter bar back, or compressed the tongues tighter. I knew better, and should've just got the slip tongues and backfilled, but I was trying something my buddy told me about. I guess he was confused aboutwhat I was doing. He is a contractor and I got a chance to talk with him today. So, it looks like I'll be ripping it up and doing it right instead of trying to "cheat" it to save a bit of time and money.

I myself had this happen. I ended up just going backwards from the said piece to the wall.......if its off then baseboard and 1/4 round hides any small problem areas........JM2C

^^^^ theres your answer , then extend a chalk line to the final room on the right , set your starter on this line and work back into the bottom of your pic , then pull your starter and go up on your pic in all three rooms at the same time , 1/4 round is for reno's and amateurs it makes your hard work look like that , get into baseboard range and glue the last run that is covered by the base using a good flooring adhesive under it and some gorilla in the groove , even if you have rip a slim piece to get there it will look much better than using 1/4 round .

Like mentioned above, just get a piece of 3", rip the taper on it and remanufacture the tongue or groove either with a router bit or on a table saw! The router bits for the to the and groove come in a set, and they ain't cheap, about $120 for the set! I always just rip it on the table saw!

How's the Cuda doing by the way?? Still have it?? Just wondering!! Geof

Like mentioned above, just get a piece of 3", rip the taper on it and remanufacture the tongue or groove either with a router bit or on a table saw! The router bits for the to the and groove come in a set, and they ain't cheap, about $120 for the set! I always just rip it on the table saw!

How's the Cuda doing by the way?? Still have it?? Just wondering!! Geof

I'm gonna see if I can locate 10 lf of 3" and try it, but no guarantees. The Barracuda is still running strong. A little smoke still, but I'm just gonna enjoy it till I clear my plate a bit. Then maybe next year do a rebuild. First I have to finish this investment property and make some extra money. Like I said when you practically gave it to me, if I ever get rid of her, you'll have first option on her, but I plan on holding onto her for a long time.

-
Back