Has anyone had experience with Kumho tires

-

jimbo1096

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Kumho Solus TA51 215/70r14, maybe 225s on the back
I'm trying to find a set of tires that will look decent and not kill the remainder of my bank account
It's between these, Cooper Cobra, or BFG

My experience is with Kumho tires but not that size, I had them on my 96 Ram 2500 plow truck, with those tires I didn't need to use the 4x4

Are you looking for raised white letters? If not, ditch the BFG and Coopers and go with the Kuhmos as they will be cheaper!

Remember, your priority is price so don’t expect a world beating tire at that price point especially since it’s an all season tire…. Which means it’s not really good at anything.

Cooper cobras, if you need the white letters. Kumho's if you don't. .
Not gonna buy T/A radials. Below average tire, sold on the strength of white letters (that turn brown) and undeserved reputation.
I would much rather have Kumho's than bfg.

Ran 2 sets on the 2wd Durango we had for about 80k miles. Dont remember which Khumos they were, but I really liked them.

I just pulled the trigger on Cooper Cobras to replace some 16 year old BFG’s (that turned brown). Super limited selection these days for RWL’s.

I've run the Solus for years on Neons. They're good tires. I bought the Coopers because they're made in USA, and I have about the same opinion of them. I wasn't unhappy with either.

I LOVED the Ecsta 711 in 255/55/17 for my Dakota R/T.
They were the best tire for the money.
Unfortunately no longer made.

Some Kumho's are made in Akron, by former "tire capital of the world USA" employees.

BFG TA's ain't what they used to be.
Coopers and Master Craft are better tires by the numbers.

I understand they make a pretty good sticky, borderline drag radial, too.

I have no need for RWL and only like them because they are old school. These tires will take the Dart around town for an occasional cruise and for going out to a couple of shows in the area, farthest away is about 35 miles. If I can save a couple hundred bucks and still have a good looking tire, i would be happy. They are replacing the Firestone Indy 500s that were stolen.

My only complaint of Kumho's is they only lasted 7,000 miles on our PT Cruiser.
They were 205/60/17's. Must have been a soft compound.

That's what I liked about those 711 Ecsta's.

Still soft but not as soft as OEM. (Eagle RSA?)

Great compromise between traction and tread wear.

I have a set of 245/45 x 20 Kumho tires on the wife's 300S. They wear well and handle well for a lesser price than some of the name brands.

-
Back