Hated subject...Body work.

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Love this place :). My 69 Dart needs a little work on the old bod. Not too much but it needs some lower quarter pannel skins on both sides R & L in front of the wheel and in back of the wheel. The inner wheel housing is in very good shape accept for right in front of each rear wheel but this is very slight I dont think they would have to replace the wheel housing just patch them with two formed peaces of metal. The passenger door rocker has the dreaded bubble and needs to be replaced. Jamaca blue will be the new paint, thats what it was born with. So $15,000 LOL gulp more????

For $15,000 I'll start work tommorow... Seriously, for that kinda money you can do it your self and learn along the way. Look for some of my posts on body work.

I'm sure I've been taken a few times. The last paint that was put on the car F6 bright green metalic was a total waste because the guy that did it had water in his compresser! Four grand down the tubes. When the paint was about six month old on the car fish eyes started to pop out every where on the car.

You should be able to get it done for wayyyy less than that. All of thats pretty easy stuff to fix. Bubbles on the rocker do not mean it needs to be replaced. It really doesnt need to be replaced unless there are big holes or the metal is really thin. I'm with Eric though. Buy the tools and do it yourself, if you have the time. Did you repaint the door jams, trunk, and engine bay last time? If you did those will all need to be repainted the new color which will require more time and money. I definetly wouldnt take it back to the same guy who painted it last time.

No I wont lol. He's gone, probably on the run with lots of angree people on his trail. Yes the whole car was painted and will all be repainted again. Other than that small spot the rockers are very solid. You knock on them and they make a nice ring.

I have a 73 Duster that is in generally very good shape. She has the usual batch of "age marks" dings, scrapes and some bubbles around the front and rear glass. The estimate I got from an old-school chrysler body man for "the works" (meaning going down to bare metal and back up to new paint) was around $4,500. I hope that helps.

-LY

Well the guys here must be a bunch of rip off artists doing stuff for doctors and lawyers who watch overhaulin lol. I'd like to go to night school and take some welding courses then I could do all this stuff myself :(

Learning to do your own work is its own reward. Be advised, though: with body work you will likely spend many times the price of a good body-job on the education, tools and supplies you need to get just one job done yourself. Sometimes the best tool for a job is your checkbook. Hit some of the local tin-knockers and get some estimates, that will give you a better idea where you stand.

My $0.02 -LY

I had planned to go to school for body work. But at 18 I was making good money so I didnt go. Now Ive decided Im going to learn on my own. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a shop so Ive learned some there and barowed tools from another friend.

-
Back