Have a piston question - are these okay?

-

1978D100

Reaction score
I was over at my neighbors this morning helping out with his 360. I was looking at his pistons and noticed a few things. They are new Sealed Power 405P, cast replacement pistons. They are a couple of small gouges/nicks around the top on 2 of them and a small spot on the other one by the ring grooves. Can we file down these spots? He got the pistons when he bought the pick up, so he would like to use them. Any advice will be appreciated! David

Attachments

• photo 1(11).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 260
  • photo 2(10).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 265
  • photo 3(8).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 262
You can definitely smooth out the nicks & run 'em, imo. just make sure you get all the high spots out and no sharp edges. That said they're only $18.99 each. Any concerns, just replace them.

I've used worse back when I had to, lol. Just wanted some other opinions to show him. He is on disability and a VERY strict budget, I'm going to put the engine together for free, not really work to me it's FUN. He was upset, hadn't even noticed the spots. Thanks, David

He's been a GREAT neighbor to me, like a second dad. I had a heart attack while putting a new timing belt on my Neon, got home from the hospital and he had the car all put back together. Not only that, put the new struts on and got it aligned. Never would take a penny for the work. He's had a stroke and can't do much, so I am glad to help him out. David

Neighbors like you two are hard to come by.Show there is still good in the world as for the pistons Imo smooth them down and run them just make sure the rings grooves are not pinched.

I'd use 220 sand paper and knock the high spots down , and make sure and clean the pistons afterward , brake clean is what I use

Okay, will smooth them, clean real good and use them. Just wanted to hear what other people thought since it wasn't my engine. Thanks, David

Neighbors like you folks are hard to come by anymore. Sharp ridges MAY cause detonation so make sure there aint none left....

My neighbour is a top bloke too. last saturday night I phoned him at 11:30pm to come out and give us a jump start when we went out for dinner and left the headlights on.(Got him up out of bed too) And he's good to help out with a lift, or a push. Pity he's a chev guy though. lol
It's good having car guys for neighbours. (Unlike the douchebag house two doors down that plays bass heavy music untill late)

-
Back