Have an opportunity to buy a 1974 Roadrunner but engine has issues and there is a hole in frame. $2500 fair price?

-

tonyp25

Reaction score
So I just got introduced to this forum because I bought a 74 dart. Well I had to sell one car to add a car and the car I sold the guy wants to do a partial trade for his 74 RR numbers matching. It would be for a value of $2500. Engine has an issue with oil pressure so he’s having trouble getting it running but there isn’t a knock. Frame has a hole. pics below. What do you guys think? I have a buddy that tears these engines apart (worst case I drop a larger engine in it) and another that does welding for a dealership. I still think I’d be below 10-15k in it and then maybe another 5-10 for a nice paint job. Just not sure how far done a rabbit hole I’m willing to go but boy do I love the look of the car.

IMG_5996.jpeg

IMG_5997.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

IMG_6005.jpeg

IMG_6008.jpeg

IMG_6010.jpeg

IMG_6017.jpeg

IMG_6030.jpeg

IMG_6031.jpeg

IMG_6034.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to add it’s a 318 2bbl and he has the rear seat cushion just took it off to look for rust…there is def Bondo in some of the panels

Few more pics:

IMG_6018.jpeg

IMG_6019.jpeg

IMG_6016.jpeg

IMG_6014.jpeg

IMG_6015.jpeg

IMG_6013.jpeg

IMG_6006.jpeg

IMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_5998.jpeg

And the final piece of the story is that in the late 90’s my dad and I had an opportunity to buy a numbers matching 1974 roadrunner with a 440 and only 15,000 documented miles from the original owner (guy worked for corporate GM). He only wanted $17k but we just didn’t have the money. This would be a project for the both of us to relive what we missed out on.

NY car =rusty crusty lipstick on a pig. And your estimate would be right you guys doing all the work.
They are a cool car, if your up for a serious project, go for it.

To the OP.... that thing is going to be real ugly once you start knocking all that bondo out of it. Good luck getting sheet metal for it.

If you end up getting it, I have a mostly complete parts car (74 satellite) that I will let go for next to nothing. I even have a title for it.
What engine is currently in the RR?

So I just got introduced to this forum because I bought a 74 dart. Well I had to sell one car to add a car and the car I sold the guy wants to do a partial trade for his 74 RR numbers matching. It would be for a value of $2500. Engine has an issue with oil pressure so he’s having trouble getting it running but there isn’t a knock. Frame has a hole. pics below. What do you guys think? I have a buddy that tears these engines apart (worst case I drop a larger engine in it) and another that does welding for a dealership. I still think I’d be below 10-15k in it and then maybe another 5-10 for a nice paint job. Just not sure how far done a rabbit hole I’m willing to go but boy do I love the look of the car.

View attachment 1716106765

View attachment 1716106766

View attachment 1716106767

View attachment 1716106768

View attachment 1716106769

View attachment 1716106770

View attachment 1716106771

View attachment 1716106772

View attachment 1716106773

View attachment 1716106774

RUN AWAY!

Looks like a "bondocuda" I foolishly bought once. I woud run away from it fast, and forget about it.
The body work on it will never end. One thing leeds to another.
RUN RUN RUN

Dave

I’d buy it, get it running good (maybe go with a 360or 408) and drive the piss out of it until it falls apart. May or may not be too far gone for a full restoration to be fiscally wise because it’s not a sought after engine combo, but would be easy to make into a safe driver to have fun with. Hard to find a viable complete car these days for $2500….

I have a rust bucket bondo queen dart sport that I daily drive. It is honestly the most fun car to drive I have ever had. Its great not giving a s**t if you get a scratch or dent. So I say buy it and drive it for a couple years. While your driving it you can start collecting the parts for a restoration if you choose to.

If you want a project, that is probably as cheap as it gets. Could be a good driver for many years if you don’t mind some flaws. Looks like a good 10 footer. Just drive it as is when you get the mechanicals fixed.

I bought my barracuda that was similar to the RR several years ago. The body looks good but it has a lot of bondo and some rust bubbling through. It hasn’t got that much worse, and still looks about the same after five or six years. It is a great driver and I can drive it anywhere without worrying about another door ding. Most folks love it. If it has a hole in the frame that doesn’t really matter, so what? For many folks like me, the quest for perfection will only ruin the hobby. Fix it good enough, drive it enjoy it. Bad investment to spend a lot of money on it.

There's a LOT of crusty rust under all that bondo.

...is it really a road Runner?

It has Satellite interior panels and the RR bird on the stripe is backwards.

Real RR VIN starts with "RM".

As stated above sheet metal is virtually nonexistent.

Frame rail should be easy to find, but what a PITA to remove and install only to be left with the rest of that body work on what is likely not an RR.

I did buy it. Thanks for all the input. It’s arriving Wednesday and I’ll update you all once I have the engine apart. The VIN on the title and on the car starts with RM. I’m sure it’s had pieces replaced and that paint color doesn’t seem available in 74’. I’m not sure if it’s just my area but people are selling rusted out rollers for more than $2500 and they are selling so fast that I can’t even ask questions about them. I plan on just getting it running, fixing the frame and then driving it as just a toy. Worst case I’ll part it. I think it worth the risk to me for the price.

Just for a reference point I went to look at a 318 satellite with similar rust and engine issues. Lady was asking $14500. It was a 72 (so I think it’s a little bit cooler body style) but before I could even get there someone offered her over asking and trailered it away.

I think you got a great deal. Get it going and drive it.

Remember, Better is the enemy of good enough

-
Back