Have any of you ever had an engine fight you the whole way?

-

SassyGrass71

Reaction score
The 360 Ian and I are putting in the Duster just does not want to co-operate. First, I paid more than I should have because the engine was supposed to have had a lot of work done to it with low miles. Pulled it apart to make sure, and had to do a bit more than I wanted to.:banghead: Then I showed Ian how to instal bearings, and rings. Ended up with one bent ring and one rod bearing put in backwards. No big deal, thats how you learn. But went to get the heads ready and found a pushrod and the rocker arm shafts missing, along with the head bolts and front cover bolts. :banghead: Then paid a machine shop to tank the block, and instal the soft plugs and cam bearings. Went to put the cam in and found they put two bearings in backwards. :banghead: Then the flywheel thing. :banghead: While the heads look great, I'm not holding my breath when we pull the valves. :banghead:

Ok, I feel better. :D

An engine? Sure....AND a transmission, AND brakes, suspension, steering, welding, fabrication, body and paint, upholstry, also every other aspect of building a car. Sometimes stuff goes together smoothly, other cars seem to fight you at every turn. Ever drive two stock cars that perform differently? I think that with all the tolerances in these cars, SOME just have to be better or worse than others.

I was going to say that. :D
Mine messed with me BIGTIME in the electrical system, just stupid little diagnostic BS that was never a big deal really.
Sometimes I think it was just testing me to make sure I was worth having it.
We're good now though.

Those kind usually turn out to be the best ones.

Yep...been there (and will be there again I'm sure!). Makes you appreciate it all that much more when you guys get it done.

Have Fun!
Pat

-
Back