Have you ever been wrongfully detained?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This video may have already been seen by many here but it will be news to some.
I usually support the Police but these guys showed some seriously shitty judgement. When have you seen a 60+ year old car thief cruising around with his wife ???

That's bullcrap. That's poor police work... one can't judge a criminal by looks, but holy moly. That's not who you are looking for. Too quick to arrest on that one.

That's bullcrap. That's poor police work... one can't judge a criminal by looks, but holy moly. That's not who you are looking for. Too quick to arrest on that one.
---------------------------------------------------------
don` think our cops are that stupid, well, not the bigger city ones anyway. most of the small town cops around here think their god or something. LAWSUIT FOR SURE !! most would have better judgement on eminent danger .

This video may have already been seen by many here but it will be news to some.
I usually support the Police but these guys showed some seriously shitty judgement. When have you seen a 60+ year old car thief cruising around with his wife ???

White privilege! Can you imagine if these folks were any race other than white? It's obviously racial profiling. SMH

My friends brother got pulled over in Nevada for not having his headlights on during the day ( those signs are not SUGGESTIONS...it's a law) and they searched his car and found some pot.... He spent a few days in a 1 horse town that only had a court house and a bank...lol

BTW... His brother was in his late 70s and from WA state where pot is legal...

My friends brother got pulled over in Nevada for not having his headlights on during the day ( those signs are not SUGGESTIONS...it's a law) and they searched his car and found some pot.... He spent a few days in a 1 horse town that only had a court house and a bank...lol

BTW... His brother was in his late 70s and from WA state where pot is legal...

But not legal where he was at. Also don't cross state lines or federal lines with legal" items. Federal offenses could get you.

I'll watch this video later and comment.

Riddler

We had a good laugh about it. Thinking of a late 70s retired professional getting busted for pot.
He never thought about it being illegal outside his state or he wouldn't have consented to the search. They ended up dropping or reducing the charges...

Point is that these are "revenue" zones and they will go after anyone for a buck.
Big cities have too much crime to worry about this stuff and the individual cops are
more insulated from the budgets.

I have historical plates on both my cars. I drove one over to the car wash and then to get an oil change in a small town not far from home. Get pulled over by a young cop. This clown was ready to have my car impounded for false plates. It took a state highway patrol officer to explain to him about historical plates. The only reason the state boy showed up was because a wrecker was going to be called.
The shame is, these cops detained someone because they screwed up. If you or I would have done that, we would be getting time.
I truly think cops should be held accountable for their mistakes criminally. Not a popular belief, but one I hold. Maybe then, they'll take the time to double check their work.

even if they realize they were mistaken for pulling you over they still run you through the process.
Which kinda defeats " due process"...ironic huh?

my bro in law is a cop outside of Mpls and he has no ego...super nice guy. But some have a chip and a badboy attitude
which creates problems for others. Just as some inner city folks make all their neighbors seem like gangsters. I mean really.. give your 8 yr old a fake gun to run around with emulating a gangster and then wondering why he got shot ?

Unbelievable. The NHP needs to be sued until they bleed. They pull crap like this, but they are afraid to stop minorities for fear of being called racial profilers???????

Figures it was out in Commiefornia..states full of dumbasses!!obviously the police too..

2013- was driving my 2012 R/T Challenger back from a Mopar get together/race in Bowling Green Ky to Texas. We pulled off the Interstate near Cumby, Tx. to use the bathroom. I noticed a county Sherriff's vehicle had pulled off on the grass on the right side of the Interstate and was just sitting there the whole time were were stopped.
As soon as we got back on the service road he pulled back on the Interstate. We took an on ramp and stayed in the Right hand lane. He pulled up behind us and followed for about 3 or 4 miles, then on went the cherries. He told us the reason he stopped us is because we made an unsafe lane change! We never changed lanes!! He walked up to the passenger side and asked the wife to lower her window. I had the car shut off so she couldn't. He yelled at her to lower the window and I told him "we're working on it", and I turned the ignition on and lowered the window for her. He pulled his pistol as the window was coming down and scared the **** out of my wife! He then asked what was in the back seat under the blanket (2 drag radials for racing) and came around to my side and asked for license and registration. I told him I have license and proof of insurance. No, I want to see the registration for the vehicle. We don't carry or have to show proof of registration in Texas. I reminded him of that. he told me to get out of the car and come sit in his vehicle with him. He said when he ran the plates it came back as not belonging to anybody and suspected that we had stolen the vehicle from a car lot. I showed him the insurance card with the VIN number to the car and my name and address on it. Now why would I insure a car that didn't belong to me? Then he gets out his personal cell phone and calls someone at the station and gives her the VIN number. After a short conversation with her he hangs up and tells me I can go, have a nice day! This all took about 30 minutes, and the unsafe lane change thing was bullshit, I never changed lanes. It's also very strange that a Texas peace officer asks for registration when that hasn't been a requirement in this state for 40 years!

I had the ONLY 1969 Roadrunner within four counties and had cops sticking shotguns in both windows one Friday night saying my car was reported at the scene of a robbery down town and literally dared me to "move a muscle".
They saw me and the car pretty much every day and knew exactly who and where I was pretty much at any given time.

When my Wife and I got married one of those same cops pulled us over during the wedding procession of 12 or so cars and threw all of our luggage out in the street during an unlawful search and then threatened to charge me with littering for our luggage being scattered all over the road.
I asked him if he was going to write me up for speeding as well since I was going over the speed limit and he did.
I wasn't speeding though, and I told the Judge that I told the officer I was speeding so I could get him in a court room where he could explain the illegal search and destruction of private property. (I also had 4 witnesses with me)
The Judge told the officer that we ever ended up in his court room together again, that the officer better have a legitimate and legal reason for it.

I moved out of that state right after that. :D

I also got detained at the Canada border in 2014 trying to come back into the U.S. My passcard mis scanned and came up on their screen as armed and dangerous! Frisked and detained everyone in the car for about 45 minutes while they tried to figure out what to do, since my card wouldn't scan again when they tried it.

see.... white guys get harrassed too !

But I've known black guys that really do get profiled bad..... i wouldnt want to be in there shoes.

I also got detained at the Canada border in 2014 trying to come back into the U.S. My passcard mis scanned and came up on their screen as armed and dangerous! Frisked and detained everyone in the car for about 45 minutes while they tried to figure out what to do, since my card wouldn't scan again when they tried it.
My son is one of two people in North America that is trained to repair a certain hot runner plastic injection machine. He gets to the Canadian border with his boss (the other trained guy) to repair a machine in Windsor. They tell immigration what they're doing, they get held for 8 1/2 hours and are both deported back to the US. They were told that the Canadian Govt has to conduct a study to find someone in Canada who can fix the machine. The company finally disassembled the machine, sent it across the river into Detroit, reassembled the machine in a warehouse. My son came back to Detroit, fixed the machine, then disassembled it again to ship it back. Cost the company thousands of dollars, caused a couple of layoffs and the machine being down for over a month.
All because some asshole was given a badge and authority.

respectcartman.jpg

You know, I wasn't going to respond to this but it kept hounding me. "IF" this was a real stolen car situation. How many of you would have been rooting for the cops for catching the bad guy? You know, catching the piece of shite that stole my car, got what he deserves kind of statement. Just curious. OK, now lets examine how he and his wife were treated. Do you think there are 60 year old criminals? Could a 60 yr old shoot a police officer and permanently put an officer at the end of his tour of duty in a fraction of a second to never see his children or spouse again, a pine box. (I know seems a bit over the top, but still) could it happen. Or is it once you get so old you can't be a criminal? Next, how much do you think the car is worth? More than 5K? 10? 20? because anything over 5K puts you into a felony. So now we are talking felony stop on a stolen vehicle. This is the information that the cops had at the time of the stop. Next, Troopers are trained in traffic stops and they are trained for felony stops and to react to a bunch of stuff in between. This is now a clear case of a felony stop (value and stolen)and they have no way of knowing any different until they get to the end of thier procedure. They followed training and procedures (near as I could tell) no matter how you want to media spin this. Were there mistakes made? Do you wish things like this never happen? Would it have been nice for someone to have been able to straighten things out in the field faster? How much fun would you be making of the "keystone cops" if they had let them go and it turned out it was a stolen car? There are more issues at work here than people even consider. We don't have all of the information. Also, there was some media editing going on with the footage along with the media narration which was meant to invoke your reactions. Do you think state computer systems all operate on the same system? How about issues across state lines? Unfortunately a perfect world does not exist. But perfect doesn't make for sensational news. I'd be pissed if it was me and my wife but I also understand it. An apology and expenses? Sure. A payday?

Poor police work? More like poor data entry.

I encourage anyone to go sign up for a ride along, or go tour a jail.

Last edited:
-
Back